University of Connecticut.Variant names
In 1931, the faculty of the University of Connecticut voted to offer comprehensive examinations in most degree programs to graduating seniors, and outgrowth of a report to the Committee on the Study of Honors (11/6/1930). The departments reported the results of the examinations and their recommendations to the Registrar and the Committees on Scholastic Standing and Degrees with Distinction. Degrees would then be awarded without distinction, with distinction or with highest distinction. The program was administered and coordinated by the Registrar's Office in conjunction with the two faculty committees mentioned. It is unclear as to whether the Committee on Degrees with Distinction was independent or associated with the Provost's Office and/or the Faculty Senate. The Committee on Scholastic Standing was, and still is, a permanent committee of the Faculty Senate.
From the description of University of Connecticut, Committee on Degrees with Distinction records, 1930-1948. (University of Connecticut). WorldCat record id: 122938834
The University of Connecticut administered a series of surveys to students during their senior year at the institution to solicit opinions. The surveys were conducted between 1969 and 1975 and covered topics such as courses, faculty, Greek life, living arrangements and campus facilities.
From the description of University of Connecticut, Senior Survey records, 1969-1975. (University of Connecticut). WorldCat record id: 775363967
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Senior Survey Records, 1969-1975, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
The Centennial Coordinating Committee was responsible for the extensive planning of the university of Connecticut's centennial celebration. The official observance of its 100th anniversary began 23 September 1980. William C. Orr served as chairman of the committee from its inception in 1979 to a successful conclusion at the Ninety-Eighth Annual Commencement, 24 May 1981.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Centennial Coordinating Committee Records., undated, 1964-1981., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Center .)
The Center for Black Studies was established 1 July 1969. Its purpose was to identify "areas of study not presently covered by existing courses related to black studies, interdepartmental liaison in the encouragement of the design of extra-curricular seminars to stimulate an increased degree of familiarity with the literature concerning the black experience, and stimulating the design of colloquia to facilitate both faculty and study research related to the black experience." [3 October 1969 Memorandum]
From the guide to the Center for Black Studies Records., 1969-1980., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
The collection documents the competitive activities of University faculty, staff, students and their associated departments and divisions. The awards represent primarily athletic competitions but there are a few that were received by the Poultry related departments in the early to mid twentieth century.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Trophies Collection, undated, 1909-2008, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
Established in the Office of Public Information as the Office of Sports Information, the responsibilities were transferred to the Division of Athletics in the 1970s.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Athletic Communications Office Records, undated, 1894-2010, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
George Alan Works assumed the presidency of Connecticut Agricultural College in 1929 after a distinguished career at the University of Chicago . In his inaugural speech, President Works called for the improvement of the college's programs in liberal arts and the natural sciences, as well as in agriculture and mechanic arts. When the obstacles to his ambitious plans for the development of the college appeared to be too formidable, Works resigned his position after one year in order to accept another position at Chicago. The most important achievement of his administration was the accreditation of the college in 1930.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, President's Office Records [George A. Works, 1929-1930]., undated, 1926-1930., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
The books fall into three categories: farmers, storekeepers and businesses. Individuals or companies include: Benjamin Brown, Marshall J. Collins, John Fitch, Charles Harding, Edmund Howe, E. Lathrop, B. Lathrop, Daniel M. Lester, James Lincoln, Collins and Company, Edward Dakin, Lucius Gurley, William Runkle, William B. Morgan, Duckworth's, Bank of Commerce and Willimantic Linen Company . Unidentified materials include a journal from a store on a wharf and a tanner together in one volume, the journal of a gristmill and the account book of a general store in Mansfield Center, CT .
From the guide to the Account Books Collection, 1774-1892, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
As Connecticut's state university and land-grant college, the University of Connecticut's history, which began in 1881, has largely been shaped by its relationships with the state and federal governments. This collection is intended to bring together the state and federal legislation and the judicial cases, which have defined those relationships, along with contemporary discussions of these matters.
From the description of University of Connecticut legal and legislative records, 1881-1982. (University of Connecticut). WorldCat record id: 45967202
Benjamin Franklin Koons studied at Oberlin College, the Sheffield Scientific School and received his doctorate from Yale University . Appointed professor of Natural History in 1881. Koons succeed Dr. Armsby, acting principal, who had served as principal following Solomon Mead 's retirement. B. F. Koons became principal of the Storrs Agricultual School at the beginning of the winter term of 1883. Under Koons' administration the Storrs Agricultural School became a co-educational college, his title was also changed from principal to president during the transition from Storrs Agricultural School to Storrs Agricultural College (1893). Professor Koons returned to teaching after serving as President until his death on 18 December 1903.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, President's Office Records [Benjamin F. Koons, 1883-1898]., 1885-1898., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
Appointed principal and professor of agriculture at the August 1881 meeting of the Board of Trustees, Solomon Mead of New Haven is described as a “practical farmer and gardener”. He oversaw the first two years of the Storrs Agricultural School, enrolling six students for the class of 1883 and eighteen for the class of 1884. He retired in 1883 and was succeeded by Dr. Armsby on an acting basis until the appointment of Benjamin F. Koons at the beginning of the winter term 1883.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, President's Office Records [Solomon Mead, 1881-1882]., 1882., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
The Center for Contemporary African Studies at the University of Conneccticut was established in 1991. It offered formal programs of graduate studies, encouraged research on Africa, fostered student and faculty exchanges with African universities, organized a speakers' program and a film series, sponsored visiting scholars, and offered information on Africa-related activities and resources to the wider community. The Center drew its faculty from departments throughout the university, ranging from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, the School of Education, and the School of Medicine. The Center for Contemporary African Studies was phased out in 2009. Although there have been discussions since then about how to preserve options for maintaining some of its functions, no successor center or program has emerged to date.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Center for Contemporary African Studies Records, 1990-2005, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
The University Senate is a legislative body responsible for establishing minimum rules and general regulations pertaining to all undergraduate schools and colleges. The Senate also is responsible for establishing general educational policy in areas not reserved to the Board of Trustees, to the administration, or to the several faculties. The Curricula and Courses Committee, a committee of the University Senate, was established in 1929.
Prior to the establishment of the University Senate, the faculty of the institution met regularly to establish and review policy, discuss issues and provide goverance for the campus academic operations.
Current information on the University Senate and its committees can be found on its website .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, University Senate Records., undated, 1893-2000., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center.)
The Center was established as the Oral History Project in 1968, and began to expand in the late seventies in response to a growing professional interest in this research technique. It was designated a Center by the University's Board of Trustees in 1981, and continues to increase both the number of research projects coming under its umbrella and the services it provides.
Center-based activities have been supported by funding from such agencies as the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Connecticut Humanities Council and the U.S. Office of Education, as well as by private sources and the University of Connecticut .
Publications originating from the Center include: Mills and Meadows: A Pictorial History of Northeastern Connecticut, From the Old Country: An Oral History of European Migration to America, Connecticut Workers and Technological Change, and Witnesses to Nuremberg: American Participants at the War Crime Trials .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Center for Oral History Interviews Collection, undated, 1967-2008., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
The Loeb Awards for Distinguished Business and Financial Journalism were established in 1957 by Gerald M. Loeb, author of The Battle for Investment Survival and a senior partner with E.F. Hutton and Company .
The Loeb Awards were designed to reward authors whose writings in business and finance report explain the mechanics, strengths, problems, and values of American capitalism and enterprise. The Advisory Board of the Loeb Awards at the University of Connecticut sought those meritorious journalistic contributions which combined superior writing, clarity, accuracy, and analysis of subjects of import to the growth and development of the American enterprise system.
The Loeb Awards Advisory Board appointed two panels of judges, one for newspaper awards and one for magazine awards. The judges represented the fields of journalism, business, and education. Upon their recommendation, the Trustees of the University of Connecticut made the final selection of winners. During his tenure as President of the University of Connecticut, Homer D. Babbidge, Jr. served as Chairman of the Loeb Awards Advisory Board . Other members of the board included Governor John Dempsey, Gerald M. Loeb, and Robert O. Harvey, Dean of the School of Business Administration at the University of Connecticut .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Loeb Awards for Distinguished Business and Financial Journalism Records., 1957-1961., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
George W. Flint was born 2 March 1844 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia . He graduated from Bates College in 1871 and had been connected with educational institutions in New Hampshire and Maine before coming to Connecticut . Prior to becoming president of the Storrs Agricultural College, Flint was associated with the Collinsville, CT, schools.
Flint's tenure marks one of the most controversial in the history of the institution. Difficulties with the faculty, the Grange and agricultural societies and public opinion all combined to force Flint's resignation in 1901.
[A detailed description of the period can be found in The Connecticut Agricultural College beginning on page 98, Dodd Call no. S537.C88 S8 1931.]
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, President's Office Records [George W. Flint, 1898-1901]., 1900., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
Diaries dating from the 19th century provide information on mid-century farm life, social activities, local travel and education at a one room school. Two “thoughts diaries” of the same period give one man's views on Christianity, human nature and slavery. Travel journals from the later part of the century describe trips through European countries; these also contain information on transportation and lodging.
Those dating from the 20th century reveal much about the life of a Connecticut female artist and her thoughts and feelings concerning World War II. Also included is the 1943 diary of a University of Connecticut coed ( Ann T. Winchester ) and the 1902 diary of a Hartford store employee ( Phineas Gofriels ).
From the guide to the Diaries Collection., 11851-1943., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
In 1931, the faculty of the University of Connecticut voted to offer comprehensive examinations in most degree programs to graduating seniors, and outgrowth of a report to the Committee on the Study of Honors (11/6/1930). The departments reported the results of the examinations and their recommendations to the Registrar and the Committees on Scholastic Standing and Degrees with Distinction. Degrees would then be awarded without distinction, with distinction or with highest distinction.
The program was administered and coordinated by the Registrar's Office in conjunction with the two faculty committees mentioned. It is unclear as to whether the Committee on Degrees with Distinction was independent or associated with the Provost's Office and/or the Faculty Senate. The Committee on Scholastic Standing was, and still is, a permanent committee of the Faculty Senate .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Committee on Degrees with Distinction Records., 1930-1948., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center.)
Rufus Whittaker Stimson was born 20 February 1868 on a farm near Palmer, MA . He attended Colby College in Maine and studied philosophy at Harvard University (A.B., 1895; A.M., 1896) and divinity at Yale Divinity School (B.D., 1897). Hired by the Connecticut Agricultural College as a professor of English, ethics and public speaking in 1897, Stimson was appointed president pro tempore in October 1901. He was made president within the year, replacing the controversial George W. Flint .
During his administration, the enrollment at the College grew from 18 to 125 regular students and twenty-five short term students. Under his administration, the summer school was established, a new dormitory constructed, the horticulture building and greenhouses begun and appropriations from the state increased.
Stimson resigned in 1908 to become the director of Smith Agricultural School in Northampton, MA . In 1911, he became the state supervisor of agricultural education for Massachusetts, a position he held until his retirement in 1938. In 1939, at the age of 71, “Stimson received an appointment as a Research Specialist in Agricultural Education in the U.S. Office of Education for the purpose of writing a history of agricultural education.” [Moore, 1988]
Rufus Stimson died 1 May 1947.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, President's Office Records [Rufus W. Stimson, 1901-1908]., undated, 1899-1908., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
The "Peoples of Connecticut" Project was begun in 1974 under a grant from the Ethnic Heritage Program, Office of Education, Department of Health, Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services ). The goal of this program was to increase awareness, within Connecticut secondary schools, of different ethnic groups. Using curriculum guides and other instructional materials, the project endeavored to provide teaching and learning tools for discovering the cultural diversity of Connecticut's residents.
The Project is divided into three distinct parts. Dr. Frank Stone, School of Education, is primarily responsible for the publication of the curriculum guides. Dr. Bruce Stave, History Department, is responsible for the oral histories, and Dr. William D'Antonio, Sociology Department, and Fred Grupp (Administrative Assistant for the project) have been in charge of collecting research materials and for some demographic mapping. By 1978, seven curriculum guides were published in pilot editions. These guides focuses on the Armenians, Irish, Italians, Jews, Puerto Ricans, Poles and Scots/Scots- Irish.
Responsibility for the papers that are now collectively labeled "The Peoples of Connecticut Project" comes from several sources. Because the project was actually split into three distinct parts, the papers themselves came from different places before they were combined to form this collection. Dr. Frank Stone was responsible for the publishing of the curriculum guides and his files. Dr. Bruce Stave was responsible for the oral histories, which are now available through the Center for Oral History Catalog of Interviews. The remaining materials were collected by Dr. William D'Antonio and Mr. Fred Grupp .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Peoples of Connecticut Project Records., 1897-1980., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center .)
Opened in December of 1955, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts is the largest college-based presenting program in New England . Each season, Jorgensen events attract more than 70,000 students, faculty and staff from the University of Connecticut, as well as residents from Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island . Jorgensen presents 25-30 nationally and internationally acclaimed artists and ensembles annually, ranging from classical music to world music and dance, classical and contemporary dance, comedy, family programming and contemporary entertainment.
Additional information is available on the Center's website .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts Records, 1977-1979, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
On January 17, 1994, the University of Connecticut began operating a University-wide online public information system known as UCINFO . UCINFO was the result of a cooperative effort by the University Computer Center and the Homer Babbidge Library, and aided through the support from the University Computing Committee. UCINFO provided public information about UConn for use by the UConn community, as well as the public seeking information about the university.
UCINFO was a university initiative to provide online public information, and was designed to make a broad range of information about UConn activities, events, and programs readily accessible to the public. The information came from a number of sources, to include UConn press releases, the student union master calendar of events, and academic and administrative departments. It was a mainframe-based system with two major components: HUSKY MOLE and HUSKY GOPHER.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Computing Committee Records, 1993-1996, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
As Connecticut 's state university and its land-grant college, the University of Connecticut 's history has largely been shaped by its relationships with the state and federal governments. The present collection is intended to bring together the state and federal legislation and the judicial cases, which have defined those relationships, together with contemporary discussions of these matters.
The records from the 1880s and 1890s reflect the young institution's struggle to establish itself in the first years after its founding in 1881. In 1886-1887, it had to withstand a legal challenge to the validity of the Storrs brothers' gift to the state of the land on which the school was built. As this dispute was being settled, controversy was already brewing over the disposition of the state's federal land grant. Powerful agricultural interests in the state were dissatisfied with the use of being made of the federal finds by Yale's Sheffield Scientific School, which had been designated as Connecticut's land-grant institution after the passage of the first Morrill Act of 1862, and sought to have the funds transferred to the Storrs School. The celebrated “Yale vs. Storrs” controversy was ultimately resolved by the passage of Public Act 67 of 1893, which established Storrs Agricultural College and opened the way for the subsequent transfer of the land grant to Storrs. Yale replied by bringing a suit against the state. When the courts failed to decide the case conclusively, a commission was created which awarded damages to Yale for the loss of the federal monies and, in effect, confirmed the status of the S.A.C. as Connecticut 's land-grant college.
A succession of federal grants strengthened and broadened the mandates received by the state in the original land-grant legislation. The second Morrill Act of 1890 directed federal resources toward the “more complete endowment and support of the colleges for the benefit of agriculture and the mechanic arts” which were established under the act of 1862. Other legislation, such as the Smith-Lever Act of 1914, defined the work of the land-grant colleges in such areas as agricultural extension work. Summaries of this important legislation are contained in the publications “Federal Laws, Regulations, and Rulings Affecting Land-grant Colleges,” contained herein.
Having secured the claim to the federal grants, the college at Storrs still faced a protracted struggle to obtain adequate financial support from a recalcitrant state legislature. Records in this collection such as an essay by college trustee W. E. Simonds and the text of a legislative hearing in 1903 point up the difficulties experienced by Storrs Agricultural College and, from 1899, Connecticut Agricultural College, in its relations with the state during this formative period.
The passage of an act changing the name of Connecticut Agricultural College to Connecticut College in 1933 was a signal of the legislative support and public acceptance that the college had at last won by this time. Six years later the legislators voted to change its name again to the University of Connecticut, thus recognizing in law the growth achieved by the college during these years. The 1939 act represented the culmination of a long process, begun by the act of 1893, in which the small agricultural school became Connecticut 's state university.
Revisions of the state's general statutes in 1945 and in 1958 have further defined the legal status, functions, and authority of the University and its officers and staff.
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Legal and Legislative Records., 1881-1982., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Center .)
The University of Connecticut Health Center is a vibrant organization composed of the School of Medicine, School of Dental Medicine, John Dempsey Hospital, the UConn Medical Group and University Dentists. Founded in 1961, the Health Center pursues a mission of providing outstanding health care education in an environment of exemplary patient care, research and public service. The Health Center's main campus is situated on 162 acres of wooded hilltop in the beautiful, historic community of Farmington. From this vantage point, the skyline of Hartford, the capital of Connecticut, can be seen about eight miles to the east. The University's main campus is in Storrs, about 30 miles east of Hartford. With approximately 3,900 employees, the Health Center is Farmington's largest employer and an important contributor to the local and regional economy.
Health Care Services
Through John Dempsey Hospital (204 general acute care beds and 20 nursery beds), the Health Center provides specialized and routine inpatient and outpatient services. John Dempsey Hospital has long been regarded as the premier facility in the region for neonatal intensive care and high-risk maternity. It is also widely recognized for its comprehensive cardiovascular, cancer and musculoskeletal services. Additionally, John Dempsey Hospital is home to the only Emergency Department in Connecticut's fast-growing Farmington Valley.
In June 2004, John Dempsey Hospital was awarded a prestigious silver Connecticut Quality Improvement Award Innovation Prize for its volunteer staff support of American Red Cross blood drives. Since 1987, the Connecticut Quality Improvement Awards have recognized Connecticut organizations that excel in managing quality improvement for success and growth.
Also offered are a wide range of ambulatory and primary care services on the Health Center campus in Farmington and in physician offices conveniently located in West Hartford, Simsbury and East Hartford. The UConn Medical Group is the largest medical practice in Greater Hartford, offering patients access to health care services from more than 350 Health Center physicians in more than 50 specialties.
Dedicated to providing broad educational opportunities in the biomedical sciences, the Health Center offers degree programs in medicine (M.D.), dental medicine (D.M.D.), and biomedical science (Ph.D.); master's degree programs in public health and dental science; postdoctoral fellowships; residency programs providing specialty training for newly graduated physicians and dentists; and continuing education programs for practicing health care professionals. Combined degree programs, such as the M.D./Ph.D., D.M.D./Ph.D., Dental Clinical Specialty/Ph.D. and M.D./M.P.H. are also offered.
The UConn Health Center is the only academic health center in the nation where a medical school was founded concurrently with a dental school. As the schools took shape during the 1960s, their planners took advantage of their simultaneous evolution to forge strong links between them. Most notably, medical and dental students share an essentially common curriculum during the first two years of their four-year degree programs. During this period they study the basic medical sciences together. This experience provides UConn's dental students with an especially strong foundation in the biomedical sciences that undergird the dental profession. Reflecting its close ties to medicine, the dental school awards its graduates the D.M.D. - doctor of dental medicine.
Each year in Farmington, about 320 students work toward their medical doctor's degree and 160 toward their doctor of medical dentistry degree. Admission to each school is highly competitive, but both schools offer preferential consideration to qualified Connecticut residents in their admissions policies. School of Dental Medicine students have a long history of outstanding performance on the National Boards, ranking first among the country's 55 dental schools on these examinations in 2001 and again in 2003. In the years since the Health Center graduated its first students in 1972, 1,459 men and women have received their D.M.D. degree; 3,061 their M.D. degree.
Through a variety of residency programs, the School of Medicine provides postgraduate training for more than 550 newly graduated M.D.s each year. These physicians come from all over the country to acquire advanced skills in fields such as the surgical specialties, internal medicine, and primary care. Some of the residency training occurs on the Health Center's main campus, but much of it takes place in community hospitals in Greater Hartford - thus extending the Health Center's influence far beyond Farmington.
Since the Health Center's inception, its administration and faculty have been committed to maintaining high-quality research programs as part of the institution's fabric. This commitment has enabled the Health Center to recruit distinguished researchers with expertise in neuroscience, molecular biology, molecular pharmacology, biochemistry, cell physiology, toxicology, and endocrinology, among other fields. The Alcohol Research Center, is one of only 14 such federally supported centers in the nation; the Connecticut Clinical Chemosensory Research Center, one of five.
Clinical research is facilitated by the Lowell Weicker General Clinical Research Center and the Clinical Trials Unit. Intellectual endeavors of all kinds are supported by the Lyman Maynard Stowe Library .
UConn Health Center faculty, staff, residents, and students, participate in a variety of joint efforts to address public health and community health needs of citizens throughout our state. Under the umbrella of Connecticut Health, hundreds of projects have been developed in collaboration with other state agencies, city and town governments, community based organizations and the public to serve the poor and uninsured by providing better medical care, health education, and research.
Connecticut Health also strives to build and enhance relationships with the state legislature to bring health-conscious legislation, improved health care and a better quality of life to all our citizens. The development of new initiatives, projects and proposals are supported by Connecticut Health staff through brainstorming, data gathering, grant writing, and relationship building.
Construction of the Health Center's main campus began in 1966. The main complex occupies a prominent hilltop overlooking an interstate highway (I-84). This massive, circular building originally contained about 1.2 million square feet, seven miles of corridors, and 2,000 rooms. Its first major addition, the Andrew J. Canzonetti, MD Building, was dedicated in 1994. It added 94,000 square feet next to John Dempsey Hospital. The Health Center's Academic Research Building was opened in 1999. The impressive 11-story structure provides 170,000 square feet of state-of-the-art laboratory space.
Construction of a new 4-story, 99,000 square-foot musculoskeletal research and outpatient surgery facility began in late 2003, with completion and occupancy expected in early 2005. All told, the Health Center campus consists of 35 buildings totaling over 2 million square feet.
Additional information about the Health Center Campus is available on its website .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Health Center Records, undated, 1921-2012, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
In April 1881, the Connecticut General Assembly established the Storrs Agricultural School after accepting a gift of 170 acres of land, several frame buildings, and money from Charles and Augustus Storrs . The School opened on 28 September 1881, with twelve students in the first class. Before the turn of the century there were two name changes ( Storrs Agricultural College 1893, Connecticut Agricultural College 1899). In 1933, two years after the institution celebrated its fiftieth anniversary, it became Connecticut State College, a name more in keeping with its steady advances and broadened mission. Six years later, in 1939, the General Assembly designated the institution the University of Connecticut, an acknowledgment of the institution's developing importance to the State in graduate and professional education, research and public service.
As the University grew, so did its needs for an on-campus fire department. In the early years of the University, help for fire-related emergencies came from the surrounding towns. During the period of this collection of record log books, the University of Connecticut’s Fire Department was its own entity, answering calls for campus-related emergencies and concerns.
Specific information about the Department can be found on their website .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Fire Department Records, 1950-1972, (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries)
The Office of the Registrar compiles information about undergraduate courses and programs. The staff registers students, creates and maintains their records, provides certified documents, issues transcripts, processes grades, monitors NCAA student athletes' academic progress, and audits degrees.
Services also include course record management, classroom assignment, final exam scheduling, academic and administrative policiy monitoring, and information dissemination. Detailed information regarding the Registrar's Office location and services is available on their webpage .
From the guide to the University of Connecticut, Registrar's Office Records., 1881-1997., (Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center)
|associatedWith||Abbie Storrs Olds||person|
|associatedWith||Abramson, Harold J.||person|
|correspondedWith||AFL-CIO Connecticut State Labor Council.||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||Agricultural colleges—United States—History.||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||A. J. Dyos||person|
|associatedWith||Albert J. Robinson||person|
|associatedWith||Albert N. Jorgensen||person|
|associatedWith||Albert O. Montambault||person|
|associatedWith||Alexander O. Stanley||person|
|associatedWith||Alfred Baker Lewis||person|
|associatedWith||Alice Emmons Parmelee||person|
|associatedWith||Alice St. Louis||person|
|associatedWith||Alison Barbour Fox||person|
|associatedWith||Allen, Irving L., 1931-||person|
|associatedWith||Allen, Irving Lewis.||person|
|associatedWith||Alton P. Adrich||person|
|associatedWith||Alvin R. Goodin||person|
|associatedWith||Amadeo Michael Aiello||person|
|associatedWith||American Academy of Arts and Sciences||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||American Association of University Professors. University of Connecticut Chapter.||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||American Association of University Women, Connecticut Division.||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||Andrew Carey, III||person|
|associatedWith||Andrew H. Souerwine||person|
|associatedWith||Anna C. Murphy||person|
|associatedWith||Ann J. Curry||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 1||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 10||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 11||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 2||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 4||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 5||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 6||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 7||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 8||person|
|associatedWith||Anonymous Worker 9||person|
|associatedWith||Anthony GolasCheney Mills||person|
|associatedWith||Anthony S. Avallone||person|
|associatedWith||Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||Archives & Special Collections staff Collector.||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||A. W. Illing||person|
|associatedWith||Babette Lapides Koch||person|
|correspondedWith||Badolato, Dominic J.||person|
|associatedWith||Baldwin, Peter Collector.||person|
|associatedWith||Bank of Commerce||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||Barbara F. Palmer||person|
|associatedWith||Barry M. Bloom||person|
|associatedWith||Beck, Audrey Phillips, 1931-1983||person|
|associatedWith||Belden, Robert F.||person|
|associatedWith||Belden, Robert F.||person|
|associatedWith||Benson, Susan Porter, 1943-2005||person|
|associatedWith||Benton, William, 1900-1973||person|
|associatedWith||Bernice Norwood Napper||person|
|associatedWith||Bernice Resnick Sandler||person|
|associatedWith||Bertolette, Peter B., 1953-||person|
|associatedWith||Blakeslee, Albert Francis, 1874-1954.||person|
|associatedWith||Blejwas, Stanislaus A.||person|
|associatedWith||Boardman F. Lockwood||person|
|associatedWith||Brian J. L. Berry||person|
|associatedWith||Bruce M. Stave||person|
|associatedWith||Brundage, Augustus Jackson, b. 1890.||person|
|associatedWith||B. T. Galloway||person|
|associatedWith||Buchholz, J. T., (John Theodore), 1888-1951||person|
|correspondedWith||Buckingham, S. McLean||person|
|associatedWith||Bush, Vannevar, 1890-1974||person|
|associatedWith||Butler, Francelia, 1913-1998.||person|
|associatedWith||Calderone, Mary Steichen, 1904-1998||person|