College of Physicians of PhiladelphiaVariant names
The Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine was established in 1976 to promote to the scholarly community the rich historical resources of the College's historical library and the Mütter Museum. The Institute sponsors conferences, occasional seminars, and short-term travel grants to researchers who require the resources of the museum and library. According to the History of Science Society, “the Wood Institute is the historical programming arm of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and serves to promote use of the collections of the College Library and the Mutter Museum,” (History of Science Society). One of the many programs of the Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine includes the F.C. Wood Institute Short Term Fellowships which offer travel grants to “bona fide researchers who wish to study any component of the College’s collections, ” (America Association for the History of Medicine). While recipients of the grant may work within the library, other options include texts, specimens, images, and artifacts. Other programs include seminars, lectures, and conferences.
Today, “the Wood Institute for the History of Medicine embraces all collections at the College and fosters a scholarly and public dialogue on medical history,” (Philadelphia Area Center for the History of Science).
Bibliography: American Association for the History of Medicine (accessed February 1, 2010). http://www.histmed.org/fellowships.htm
College of Physicians of Philadelphia (accessed February 1, 2010). http://www.collphyphil.org/library_wood_institute.htm
History of Science Society (accessed February 1, 2010). http://www.hssonline.org/guide/institution_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=Institutions%20web&-Database=hssguides&-KeyValue=76
Philadelphia Area Center for the History of Science (accessed February 1, 2010). http://www.pachs.net/members/archive/college_of_physicians_of_philadelphia/
From the guide to the Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine records, 1968-2005, (College of Physicians Historical Medical Library)
The Office of the Executive Director is the lead office in the general administration of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The College of Physicians is not an academic organization, as the name suggests, but a not-for-profit educational and cultural institution dedicated to advancing the cause of health and upholding the ideals and heritage of medicine. It was founded in 1787 by twenty-four prominent Philadelphians, including John Redman (1722-1808), elected first president of the College; John Morgan (1735-1789), founder of America's first medical school; and Benjamin Rush (1745-1813), a signer of the Declaration of Independence and vigorous advocate of many humanitarian and social causes. The current administration of the College stems from Benjamin Rush’s original proposed method of governance, which consisted of the Council, President and the Board of Trustees. It is the goals and mission set forth by this governing body that the Executive Director is expected to achieve.
Governance of the College is facilitated by a number of committees, the council (or board of trustees), and a board of advisors that are composed of fellows of the college and nominated into their positions. The Office of the Executive Director oversees the general mission of the College, as well as its staff, the College’s strategic plan, and budget. It also evaluates all of the College of Physicians’ activities, ensuring that the policies established by the College of Physicians’ governing board are upheld.
The Executive Director oversees the Historical Medical Library, the Mütter Museum, and the Francis Clark Wood Institute. The Historical Medical Library at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia collects books and information regarding medical history and related topics. The Mütter Museum collects items relating to the history of medicine and medical anomalies. The Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine’s goal is to promote the historical resources of the College of Physicians to the academic community. It provides funds for memberships and a scholar in residence program, and sponsors conferences, seminars, and travel grants to researchers. The Executive Director also oversees the institutional advancement, the finance department, communications, and membership of the College.
More specifically, the Executive Director builds and maintains relationships with donors, potential donors, and fellows of the College. The Executive Director’s responsibility is to foresee that the College and staff are operating to achieve the strategic plan as well as facilitate the creation of educational programs and services that fulfill the College’s mission statement. The Executive Director also oversees the creation of successful programs and events at the College, such as lectures, discussions, and seminars. Past Executive Directors include William F. Chaveas, John M. O’Donnell and Marc Micozzi.
William F. Chaveas was Executive Director at the College of Physicians from 1975 to 1985. Prior to his position at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Chaveas was an Associate Professor and Dean of Administration at the Burlington County College in Pemberton, New Jersey. He also worked a variety of positions at Radio Corporation of America, including manufacturing management, management systems, and administration.
John M. O’Donnell replaced William F. Chaveas as Executive Director in 1986 and ended his own term as Executive Director in 1995. Prior to his position at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, John M. O’Donnell was the Director of the Office of Alumni Relations at the University of Delaware and the Director of Development and Public Relations at the Delaware American Heart Association. He also served as a Development Associate for the College of Physician's 150th Anniversary Capital Campaign. O’Donnell earned a M.A. degree in American History from the University of Delaware and a Ph.D. in American History from the University of Pennsylvania.
Marc Micozzi was the Executive Director of the College of Physicians from 1995 to 2002. He was a former member of the College of Physicians Board of Advisors. Micozzi was both a physician and an anthropologist and received his M.D., M.Sc., and Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. His past experience included serving as the Director of the National Museum of Health and Medicine and as a Senior Investigator for the National Cancer Institute in Maryland. His career focus was on advancing the use of complementary and alternative medicine.
Portions of this Historical Note are taken directly from the College of Physicians of Philadelphia website: http://www.collphyphil.org/ERICS/cpphistory.htm (accessed July 15, 2010).
From the guide to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia Office of the Executive Director records, Bulk, 1977-2002, 1951-2003, (College of Physicians Historical Medical Library)
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|
|Yellow Fever--prevention & control|