In 1924 Carrie Chapman Catt convinced nine of the leading national U.S. women's oganizations of the need for a conference on the cause and cure of war. The Committee on the Cause and Cure of War was founded at a meeting in Washington in 1925. CCC served as chair until 1932, and as honorary chair thereafter.
The CCCW was composed of organizations of educated women who attempted to understand the causes of war, rather than protest against it. They wrote letters to members of Congress, gave lectures, and organized petitions and study groups known as "Round Tables." In 1940, the CCCW changed its name to the Women's Action Committee for Victory and Lasting Peace, which after World War II became the Committee on Education for Lasting Peace. Its "General Information" sheet stated that the "problem of the peace movement is less to overcome outspoken and convinced opposition than to arouse inert masses of people to a sense of responsibility for the elimination of war."
The original CCCW was composed of the following women's organizations: American Association of University Women, Council of Women for Home Missions, Federation of Woman's Boards of Foreign Missions, General Federation of Women's Clubs, National Board of the Young Women's Christian Association, National Council of Jewish Women, National League of Women Voters, National Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and the National Women's Trade Union League. In 1940 the National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs and the National Women's Conference of the American Ethical Union became members.
Upon the dissolution of the CCCW, CCC put its records in the care of Esther Hymer, the youngest member. EH kept the records in storage until she moved to a large house in Shrewsbury, N.J., where she kept them until she gave them to the Schlesinger Library.
From the guide to the Records, 1923-1948, (Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute)