Ohio state university

Alternative names
Dates:
US
English

Biographical notes:

The Medical Alumni Society of The Ohio State University College of Medicine, since 1931 with the exception of 1939, has given the honor of "Man of the Year" to a doctor(s) during their annual reunions. In 1973 the award name changed from the title "Man of the Year" to "Professor of the Year." And in 1975, Margaret (Peg) Hines was the first woman to be so honored.

From the guide to the Man/Professor of the Year Photograph Collection, 1934-1993, (Medical Heritage Center)

The Ohio State University Medical Center Service Board was founded in 1985. The Service Board's purpose is to provide support for the patient care, teaching, and research mission of The Ohio State University Medical Center. This is accomplished through fun-raising projects, public relations, and volunteer service for University Hospitals, The Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute, The OSU Hospital East, OSU & Harding Behavioral Healthcare & Medicine, and the College of Medicine. Members work cooperatively with the Volunteer Services Departments. In keeping with the tradition of the University, members benefit from educational symposia and programs on current health and social issues, all a part of The Ohio State University Medical Center's quest for excellence.

Service Board Presidents Jan Mekhjian, 1985-86 JoAnn Davis, 1986-87 Bette Dare, 1987-88 Kay Bradford, 1988-89 Patty Bennett, 1989-90 Amelia Nasrallah, 1990-91 Sandra Sherrill, 1991-92 Ruth Mount, 1992-93 Suzanne Marlin, 1993-94 Jane Kaiser, 1994-95 Christine Olsen, 1995-96 Ruth Paulson, 1996-97 Maddie Hebert, 1997-98 Virginia Gauthier, 1998-99 Mary Jo Cosio, 1999-00 Mim Brierly, 2000-01 Ramona Whisler, 2001-02 Carole Schuller, 2002-03 Linda Lucas, 2003-04 Maggie Cunningham, 2004-05 Bettie Keating, 2005-06 Peggy Hull, 2006-07 Zrelder Smith, 2007-08 Zrelder Smith, 2008-09 Joyce St. Pierre, 2009-10

From the guide to the The Ohio State University Medical Center Service Board Collection, 1980-2006, (Medical Heritage Center)

Lionel Topaz was born in Russia May 15, 1875. He moved to England in 1897 and came to America 1903. He married in Boston in 1904 and had three children, Mae, Oscar, and Martin. Topaz established "The Optometric Weekly" in 1910 and founded The Professional Press, Inc. in 1919. He was the publisher of numerous books in the field of visual optics and a close friend of Charles Sheard, author, researcher and educator for whom Ohio State's Sheard Foundation for Research in Vision is named. Topaz died in Chicago, Illinois on July 23, 1942.

The Lionel Topaz Memorial Library of Visual Science was dedicated October 31, 1955. The library was located in the Optometry Building on W. Tenth Ave., behind Hamilton Hall. The building was partly financed through a development fund started by Lionel's children, who sought to erect a memorial to their father. The fund also received contributions by the optometrists of the state and nation on a campaign which raised $106,000 toward the library's cost.

In 1987, due to cost increases and difficulty in maintaining a current optometry collection, the Lionel Topaz Memorial Library of Visual Science merged with the Health Sciences Library. Although several reference books were left in Fry Hall at the request of faculty to maintain a reading room collection, approximately 4,000 volumes were moved to the Health Sciences Library. This collection of unique optometry books was added to the Coleman Alcove, the rare book collection of the Health Sciences Library housed in the Medical Heritage Center. Donated by Dr. Richard Hall and Dr. Charles Sheard, these materials were given to the Optometry Department to exemplify the developments in the field of optometry.

At the time of its closing, the Topaz Library was the oldest departmental library at Ohio State and the largest, most complete optometry library in the world.

From the guide to the Lionel Topaz Memorial Library of Visual Science Collection, 1933-1989, (Medical Heritage Center)

The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine at The Ohio State University Medical Center is a collaborative center for patient care, teaching and research.

The Ohio State University Division of Cardiovascular Medicine is a national and local leader in heart research, prevention, diagnosis and treatment. The Ohio State University has pioneered the development of many cardiovascular procedures used today including in the 1960s Among the first in the nation to perform cardiac catheterization; 1970 First coronary artery bypass surgery at OSU; 1970s Dobutamine trials for heart failure patients; 1981 Coronary angioplasty introduced; 1986 First OSU heart transplant; 1992 OSU cardiologists were among the first in central Ohio to perform radiofrequency catheter ablation of cardiac arrhythmias; 1999 First robotic-assisted coronary artery bypass surgery in U.S.; 2000 First cardiovascular MR in central Ohio; 2001 First CT angiography in central Ohio; 2003 OSU Medical Center's Charles Love, MD, implants the nation's first fully digital pacemaker; 2005 The nation's first permanent device (the HeartPod) for monitoring and treating congestive heart failure was implanted using a minimally invasive cardiac catheterization procedure; and, 2007 Vascular Medicine Program debuts as part of the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine.

From the guide to the OSU Division of Cardiovascular Medicine Collection, 1990-2006, (Medical Heritage Center)



Biographical notes are generated from the bibliographic and archival source records supplied by data contributors.

Loading...

Loading Relationships

Constellation Information

Permalink:
http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6323jp5
SNAC ID:
19574570

Subjects:

  • Universities and colleges--Departments--Archives
  • Education, Higher
  • Mexican Americans--Folklore
  • Ohio State University. College of Medicine
  • Ohio State University
  • Banks and banking
  • College students--Photographs
  • Astronomy--Study and teaching
  • Physics--Study and teaching
  • Ohio State University. School of Allied Medical Professions
  • Folklore
  • Education and state
  • Universities and colleges--Faculty--Photographs
  • Archives
  • Medical Colleges
  • College teachers--Photographs
  • Universities and colleges--Archives
  • Ohio State University. University Medical Center
  • African Americans--Folklore
  • Universities and colleges--Photographs
  • Ohio State University.
  • Universities and colleges--Departments--Photographs
  • College buildings--Photographs
  • Photograph collections
  • College sports--Photographs
  • Appalachians (People)--Folklore

Occupations:

not available for this record

Places:

  • Ohio--Columbus (as recorded)
  • United States--Ohio (as recorded)
  • Columbus (Ohio) (as recorded)
  • Ohio--Columbus (as recorded)
  • United States--Ohio (as recorded)
  • Ohio (as recorded)
  • Columbus (Ohio) (as recorded)
  • Ohio--Columbus (as recorded)
  • United States (as recorded)