Architectural league of New YorkAlternative names
The Architectural League of New York was founded in New York City in 1881 by a group of architects who wished to gather and discuss architecture and its relationship to the arts.
From the description of Architectural League of New York records, 1880s-1974, bulk 1927-1968. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 756821009
Modeling the organization's name after the Art Students League of New York, the Architectural League of New York was founded in New York City in 1881 by a group of architects who wished to gather and discuss architecture and its relationship to the arts. The group elected D.W. Willard as the first President of the League and they began gathering regularly to discuss and critique each other's sketches and hold competitions. The organization grew quickly and soon the League rented a room in a building on 14th Street between University Place and Fifth Avenue.
However, by the mid-1880s the founders and more active League members left New York, and membership began to falter. The League was reorganized in 1886, expanding membership beyond professional architects, and incorporated in 1888 with 166 members. In 1889, the League joined with the Art Students League of New York and the Society of American Artists to form the American Fine Arts Society. Thus, in 1892 the three organizations were able to erect a building at 215 West 57th Street where the League remained until 1927 when it moved to 115 East 40th Street.
The League was run by the Executive Committee and its officers, elected every two years. The beginning of each League season kicked off with an annual dinner in the spring. The League also formed numerous committees to organize activities and manage administrative tasks. Noteworthy committees include the Current Work Committee, House Committee, Finance Committee, Exhibition Committee, Membership Committee, and Scholarships and Special Awards Committee.
The League's interdisciplinary approach to architecture and the arts was expressed through sponsored forums and discussions with architects and artists. From the League's beginning, the Current Work Committee was established to organize educational forums for members. Recognition of achievement was awarded by an Annual Exhibition from the late 1880s until 1938. In 1950, the League began awarding the annual National Gold Medal Exhibition in various fields such as landscape architecture, engineering, and sculpture. Additionally, the League awarded numerous other scholarships each year. Architects, artists, and arts-related organizations could also rent space in the League building to hold meetings, discussions, and exhibitions.
The League admitted its first female member in 1934. Notable members of the League included Arnold W. Brunner (President, 1903-1905), Cass Gilbert (President, 1913-1915), Philip Johnson, Robert A.M. Stern, and Russell Sturgis (President, 1889-1893).
The Architectural League of New York continues to provide educational opportunities and scholarships to students and professionals.
Background information was gathered from a written history of the League by Cass Gilbert found in this collection and the Architectural League of New York website (http://archleague.org/category/archive/history-archive/).
From the guide to the Architectural League of New York records, 1880s-1974, (Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution)
The Architectural League of New York is a non-profit organization that sponsors exhibitions, research studies, and projects that explore ideas in architecture and related art and design fields. The ALNY promotes excellence and innovation in architecture and urbanism by broadening the knowledge of these fields and communicating the importance of architecture in public life.
In 1973 the ALNY founded the Archive of Women in Architecture as a means to gather data about the careers of women in the field of architecture and other design professions. The project was made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts and a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, and contributions from CBS, Inc., IBM Corporation, and Harry Winston, Inc. The archive committee consisted of Susana Torre, Coordinator, Phyllis Birkby, Regi Goldberg, Marjorie Hoog, Naomi Leff, Dimon Liu, Mimi Lobell, and Marita O'Hare.
In September of that year, the Archive began a national survey to collect both biographical and project data from women working in the profession. Committee members sent a form letter to women architects describing the archive and its mission, along with both a biographical worksheet and a project worksheet. At this time, Archive committee members also collected information about women who were no longer practicing architects in 1973. From the information gathered for the Archive, a 1977 exhibition and a book, Women in American Architecture: A Historic and Contemporary Perspective, were produced. The Archive of Women in Architecture ceased to collect material after this date.
From the guide to the Architectural League of New York: Archive of Women in Architecture Records, 1948-1977, (Special Collections, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.)
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|
|Sculpture, Modern--20th century|
|Architecture, Modern--20th century|
|Associations, institutions, etc|
|Language and languages--Documentation|