City News Bureau Records, 1944-2005, bulk 1990-2000.
There are 4 Entities related to this resource.
The Newberry was founded on July 1, 1887 and opened for business on September 6 of that year. The Newberry’s establishment came about because of a contingent provision in the will of Chicago businessman Walter L. Newberry (1804-68), which left what later amounted to approximately $2.2 million for the foundation of a “free, public” library on the north side of the Chicago River, if his two children died without issue. After the deaths of Mr. Newberry’s daughters and then, in 1885, of his widow, t...
Chicago based cooperative news agency which ran from 1890 to 2005. The City News Bureau was founded in 1890 by Chicago Daily News publisher Victor Lawson as a low cost way to gather routine news items from the police and City Hall, and to train reporters for their newsrooms. Originally called the City Press Association of Chicago, it was supported in the beginning by eight out of the ten Chicago dailies. It was renamed the City News Bureau in 1910, and was a fertile bree...