Chicago based cooperative news agency which ran from 1890 to 2005.
The City News Bureau was founded in 1890 by Chicago Daily News publisher Victor Lawson as a low cost way to gather routine news items from the police and City Hall, and to train reporters for their newsrooms. Originally called the City Press Association of Chicago, it was supported in the beginning by eight out of the ten Chicago dailies. It was renamed the City News Bureau in 1910, and was a fertile breeding ground for up and coming reporters, employing such future luminaries as Ben Hecht, Mike Royko, Seymour Hersh, Herman Kogan, Jack Mabley, novelist Kurt Vonnegut, actor Melvyn Douglas, and sculptor Claes Oldenburg. Chicago's major daily newspapers jointly owned and used City News Bureau until the Tribune became the sole owner and renamed it the New City News Service in 1999. The City News Bureau officially closed its doors in January 2005.
From the description of City News Bureau Records, 1944-2005, bulk 1990-2000. (Newberry Library). WorldCat record id: 289522983