The Juilliard School of Music until 1946 comprised two units: the Juilliard Graduate School and the Institute of Musical Art (IMA), which served as the undergraduate division.
The IMA was founded in 1905 by Frank Damrosch and James Loeb; in 1926 it affiliated with the Juilliard Graduate School, established in 1924 by the Juilliard Musical Foundation. The two schools had separate deans but were administered by the President of the Juilliard School of Music, an office created in 1928. In 1946 the two schools were merged.
From the description of General administrative records, 1919-1948 (bulk 1927-1945). (The Juilliard School). WorldCat record id: 25391802