Freedom House was established in 1941 as a non-profit, non-partisan democratic challenge to the Braunhaus in Munich, a center for Nazi propaganda.
It physically merged several anti-isolationism organizations, including Committee to Defend America by Aiding the Allies and Fight for Freedom, while allowing them to remain administratively autonomous. Acting from its headquarters in the Willkie Memorial Building, Freedom House functioned as a clearinghouse, coordinator, radio broadcast studio, and literature disseminator in an effort to sway public opinion during World War II. After the War, the organization focused its attention on foreign and domestic threats from both the left and right. Through its policy statements, forums, conferences, programs (such as Books USA), and publications, the organization helped to frame the national debate on issues such as civil rights, human rights, freedom of the press, the Vietnam War and freedom of information. The organization²s activities established its place in the American consciousness and attracted a wide variety of prominent Americans to its cause.
From the description of Freedom House archives, 1936-1997. (Princeton University Library). WorldCat record id: 175712389