Newark (N.J.) Churches collection, 1891-2004.

ArchivalResource

Newark (N.J.) Churches collection, 1891-2004.

Box #1. Protestant Episcopal: Grace Church (135th anniversary, 1972, "Introducing Grace Church," Guide to the Origins, Furnishings... pamphlet, programs, Floor plan, typed from the original in church archives, files of Cameron Allen, Church historian, the order of consecration of John Shelby Spong as bishop, Diocese of Newark, June 12 1976, commemoration service of the episcopate of George Edward Rath, Bishop of Newark, Nov. 5, 1978, Trinity & St. Philip's Cathedral 250 anniversary celebration, brochure, House of Prayer. Installation of T. James Snodgrass as rector, program, 1980). Reformed Episcopal: Emanuel Church (Christian message printed on a blotter). Reformed Church: North Reformed Church (Sunday schools, anniversary, program, 1882). Baptist: Bethany Baptist (10th anniversary of library, bookmark, programs-1967); Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (25th anniversary 1892 booklet); First Baptist Peddie Memorial Church (Brochure "These stones shall be for a memorial," 1973); Mount Calvary Baptist Church (List of patrons, 1979, 30th anniversary of Rev. Dr. Jesse Wendell Mapson, 1977, concert, 1979). Presbyterian: High Street (Engraving on Christmas card of Mr. & Mrs. Richard C. Jenkinson, 1927); Second Presbyterian (Concert program Oct. 4, 1987, By-laws); Bethany Presbyterian ("History of Bethany Presbyterian," 1970, Church and its members photographs, circa 1892, Membership cards, Notice of a reunion letter-1947, Misc. items. All material gathered by Ada Whitehouse Williams); Clinton Avenue Presbyterian ("A History of the Clinton Ave. Presbyterian Church formerly known as Third Presbyterian Church, South, now the Clinton Ave. United Presbyterian Church," manuscript & typed copy-1970, cornerstone laying (1914), Misc. programs. Material compiled by Ada Whitehouse Williams. history, typed manuscript, 1992); Central Presbyterian (100th anniversary, 1937-letters, history, programs, Directory of members, 1872, choir photograph, 1935, sermons and misc. programs); First Presbyterian, formerly known as Old First Church. (Centennial Celebration of the dedication booklet, 1891, Dedication of the Garden Club, 1936, Anniversary Sunday, 1941, Founders Day, 1971, brief description in New York Magazine, photocopy of 1972 article, Misc. sermons and pamphlets, engraving on a Christmas card of Thomas L. Raymond, 1915, Bicentennial brochure, n.d. program, brochure, 1980). Box #2. Thirteenth Avenue Presbyterian Church, merged with Clinton Avenue Presbyterian Church in 1967, (120th anniversary, 1955, correspondence, 1967); Forest Hill (Various records, publications, correspondence, Membership records, 1891-94, 1908-14, 1917). Roman Catholic: Sacred Heart Cathedral (Geyer questionnaire-with reply by Paul Reilly, architect, 1971, proclamation of cathedral as a historic landmark, "A Defense Brief for Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, Newark, New Jersey," by Ricky Stefanelli, cathedral organ, picture & statistics, ordination rite for Diocese of Newark, May 31, 1975, reception and ordination of bishops, 1976, canonization of Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton, 1975, invitation, historical brochure, Sacred Heart Cathedral, silver jubilee, 1954-79, program, Architectural information, 1958, St. Stanislaus Patron of Poland, anniversary celebration, 1910, Papal Honors Conferral program 1979, Silver jubilee program, 1979, Solemne Apertura de Las Fiestas de La Hispaniad 83, chapel dedications, B. Flanagan, typed manuscript, 1995, Golden Jubilee, The Catholic Advocate, v.53, no.21, Oct. 13, 2004, "The Histories of Sacred Heart Cathedral," ed. by M.E. Gubernat, c.1993); St. Aloysius (Silver jubilee program, 1924); St Rocco's: St. Rocco Celebration, badges, relic of St. Gerard, St. Mary's Abbey centennial brochure, Our Lady of Queen of Angels Church brochure). Roman Catholic ETC includes material relating to Newark Archdiocesan Council of the National Council of Catholic Women, Holy Cross Church, St. Michael's, Our Lady Fatima Church (Rev. Father Joseph L. Capote), Sisters of St. John the Baptist, Certificate of Incorporation (Church of the Blessing Sacrament). United Church of Christ:: St. Stephan's (Gemeinde, 1899, 1909, 1924, Directory of Membership, 1967, Messenger, 1945, The 75th anniversary souvenir, 1949). African Methodist Episcopal, : Saint James A.M.E. Church (booklets, pamphlets, etc, 1987-2002). Newark Churches. Misc. (B'Nai Jeshurun seventy fifth anniversary program, 1923, Park Presbyterian Church Recorder, 1892, photocopy of "Laying the Cornerstone of Park Presbyterian Church," 1871, Der Ersten Deutschen Presbyt. Gemeinde (Jubilaeum, 1901), the First Congregational (1911), .

0.83 linear ft. ( 2 Hollinger boxes)

Related Entities

There are 22 Entities related to this resource.

Mount Calvary Baptist Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w68q0rck (corporateBody)

Newark Public Library. New Jersey Reference Division

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6hm8xs6 (corporateBody)

Second Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6hj19qh (corporateBody)

Church organized in 1811; adhered to New School during the Schism, 1838-1869; dissolved 1995. From the description of Records, 1810-1994 [microform]. (Presbyterian Historical Society). WorldCat record id: 50804617 ...

First Baptist Church of Newark (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6pk56xc (corporateBody)

Bethany Baptist Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6hf2mtx (corporateBody)

Grace Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6p60d2z (corporateBody)

North Reformed Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w60p5r0q (corporateBody)

Thirteenth Avenue Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6q57ftv (corporateBody)

Catholic Church

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6m07v80 (corporateBody)

During much of Doctor JoseĢ Gaspar de Francia's dictatorship (1814-1840), Paraguay was without a bishop and the church was harrassed. From the description of Libro de providencias, ordenes, y autos : por Dn. Juan Antonio Riveras, cura rector de la parrequial de la Villeta : manuscript, 1804-1857. (Harvard University). WorldCat record id: 612746619 An antiphonary is a book containing sacred vocal music, both the antiphons of the breviary, and the musical notes. An antiphon it...

Cathedral of the Sacred Heart (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6vq7tvm (corporateBody)

First Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w60g8b0t (corporateBody)

Episcopal Church. Diocese of Newark

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6dr7mdm (corporateBody)

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6382188 (corporateBody)

St. Aloysius Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w68m21wb (corporateBody)

African Methodist Episcopal Church. Seventh Episcopal District

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w68s8nzp (corporateBody)

Organized in 1816 from a congregation formed by a group of blacks who withdrew in 1787 from St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia because of discrimination; Richard Allen was consecrated the first bishop in 1816. From the description of African Methodist Episcopal Church collection, 1914-1971 (bulk 1950-1971). (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 70962830 ...

Forest Hill Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6xm363c (corporateBody)

Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. Presbytery of Newark

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6s79wn2 (corporateBody)

Organized 1825; 1838-1869, New School; reorganized 1870; became UPCUSA presbytery of same name after 1958. From the description of [Register, 1866-1918] / Presbytery of Newark. (Presbyterian Historical Society). WorldCat record id: 16566430 Organized 1825; 1838-1869, New School; reorganized 1870; Became UPCUSA Presbytery of same name after 1958. From the description of [Minutes, 1835-1958] / Presbytery of Newark. (Presbyterian Historical Society). WorldCat record...

St. Stephan's United Church of Christ, Newark, New Jersey.

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6np6wfg (corporateBody)

High Street Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6bs3j3z (corporateBody)

The High Street Presbyterian Church saw its beginnings in a small Sunday school founded by Mrs. Martha Dickerson and Miss Nancy Hunter in 1842. This school continued to grow until Mr. William Ketcham, a neighborhood carpenter, permitted the two women to house their school on the second story of his carpenter shop on Mercer Street. The school and the fledgling church went through several reincarnations until the High Street Presbyterian Church was organized on September 16, 1849, and the building...

Clinton Avenue Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w60p5qp8 (corporateBody)

Central Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6f814ck (corporateBody)

Bethany Presbyterian Church (Newark, N.J.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6z943zx (corporateBody)