Georgia Historical Society collection of postcards, 1900s.
There are 20 Entities related to this resource.
In the spring of 1839, three Savannahians—Episcopal divine William Bacon Stevens, renowned autograph collector Israel K. Tefft, and educator, scientist, and American Medical Association founder Dr. Richard D. Arnold—hatched the idea of an organization whose mission would be to “collect, preserve, and diffuse the history of the State of Georgia in particular, and of America generally.” In May of that year they held the first meeting of what was christened the Georgia Historical Society, the te...
The Bethesda Home for Boys was founded in Savannah, Georgia, in 1740, by Reverend George Whitefield. It suffered three fires before it was sold (1805) and rebuilt (1854) on land donated by the Union Society. It has been known as "Whitefield's House of Mercy," the Orphan House Estate, Bethesda College, the Bethesda Orphan House (1902), Bethesda Orphan Asylum, the Bethesda School for Boys, and Bethesda Orphanage. Ole W. Burroughs was the school's director, 1915-1945. A Mr. Quarterman was superinte...
The Chatham Artillery is the oldest military organization in the State of Georgia, form on May 1, 1786. It has always been, and continues to be, an important unit of the State Militia and participated in every war fought by United States forces with the exception of the War with Mexico, 1845-1848, at which time another Savannah military unit was chosen by lot. The company was called upon for both festive and solemn occasions, such as escorting President George Washington in 1791, the Marquis de ...
Founded in 1935 as a city junior college of Savannah, Georgia. After joining the University System of Georiga in 1963, Armstrong was designated a four year college. During the 1970s and 1980s Armstrong was one of the colleges directly affected by court ordered desegregation. Armstrong State College was designated a University in 1996 and its name was changed to Armstrong Atlantic State University. From the description of Records, 1920-1999 (bulk 1935-1999). (Clark College). WorldCat ...
Congregation Mickve Israel was established in July 1735 by the original Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jews who settled in colonial Savannah two years earlier. The original name, Kahal Kadosh Mickva Israel, translated to "Holy Congregation Hope of Israel." In 1790, following the American Revolutionary War, the State of Georgia granted Mickve Israel a perpetual charter. In 1878, Mickve Israel completed their current Gothic Revival synagogue. Originally associated with Orthodox Judaism, Mickve Israel beg...
The Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences Architectural Records Committee was established in 1945 to prepared measured drawings of historic houses in Savannah, to obtain as many existing original plans or measured drawings of early houses as possible, and to collect as many photographs as possible of early houses. The Committee collected some original architectural plans, prepared measured drawings of others, and obtained copies of some of the measured drawing of Savannah buildings which had been...
Independent Presbyterian Church, Savannah, Georgia, has been located at Bull and Oglethorpe Streets since circa 1800. The church's first pastor was Henry Kollock. On 6 April 1889, the church was destroyed by fire and was restored through funds and restoration efforts provided by the membership. From the description of Independent Presbyterian Church records, 1800-1960 [microform]. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 173863033 ...