Bethesda Home for Boys (Savannah, Ga.)

Variant names

Hide Profile

The Bethesda Home for Boys was founded in Savannah, Georgia, in 1740, by Reverend George Whitefield. It suffered three fires before it was sold (1805) and rebuilt (1854) on land donated by the Union Society. It has been known as "Whitefield's House of Mercy," the Orphan House Estate, Bethesda College, the Bethesda Orphan House (1902), Bethesda Orphan Asylum, the Bethesda School for Boys, and Bethesda Orphanage. Ole W. Burroughs was the school's director, 1915-1945. A Mr. Quarterman was superintendent, 1871-1876.

From the description of Bethesda Home for Boys (Savannah, Ga.) records, 1871-1976 (bulk 1915-1945). (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 123379625

Relation Name
associatedWith Bragg, Lillian Chaplin, 1895-1967. person
associatedWith Burroughs, Ole W. person
associatedWith Central of Georgia Railway. Agriculture Dept. corporateBody
associatedWith Cosmos Club (Washington, D.C.) corporateBody
associatedWith Fayrweather, Samuel, 1725-1781. person
associatedWith Georgia Historical Society. corporateBody
associatedWith Georgia Writers' Project. Savannah Unit. corporateBody
associatedWith Lawton, Ella Beckwith, 1860-1949. person
associatedWith National Association of Rotary Clubs of America. corporateBody
associatedWith Rotary Club of Savannah (Ga.) corporateBody
associatedWith South Georgia Teachers College. corporateBody
associatedWith Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences. corporateBody
associatedWith Whitefield, George, 1714-1770. person
Place Name Admin Code Country
Georgia--Savannah
Savannah (Ga.)
Georgia
Subject
Orphanages
Education--20th century
Occupation
Activity
Educators

Corporate Body

Active 1871

Active 1976

Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w66441bg

Ark ID: w66441bg

SNAC ID: 24893295