Records, 1855-1968, (bulk 1910-1950).
There are 61 Entities related to this resource.
The Reading Company, chartered in 1871 as the Excelsior Enterprise Company, became the holding company for the system of railroads, canals and coal mines assembled by the predecessor Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company between 1833 and 1896. As a result of anti-trust proceedings, the Reading Company divested itself of its mining subsidiary in 1923 and became an operating company for its rail properties. After bankruptcy in the early 1970s, viable portions of the rail network were conveye...
The Lehigh Valley Railroad Company was incorporated in Pennsylvania as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company on April 21, 1846, the name being changed on Jan. 7, 1853. It was one of the major anthracite railroads and formed a secondary trunk line between Jersey City, N.J., and Buffalo, N.Y. The railroad's original function was to serve as an outlet from the Lehigh Anthracite Region to tidewater by building along the Lehigh River from Mauch Chu...
The Indianapolis Union Railway Company was founded in the 1850s. The company owned and maintained the Indianapolis Union Station and in 1882 leased the railway equipment, track, and facilities of the Indianapolis Belt Railroad and Stock Yards Company. Since its creation this railroad entity was for the purpose of easing and streamlining the exchange of freight and passengers between the different railroad companies that ran through Indianapolis. In April of 1976 the ownership of IURC was transfe...
The Pennsylvania Railroad Company's Legal Department was formally established on May 3, 1869, replacing a loosely-structured system of counsels and solicitors hired on retainer. The company's first solicitor at Philadelphia, Job R. Tyson, was engaged on April 13, 1847. Solicitors at outlying points were appointed starting in 1854, and by 1896 there were eighty-one district solicitors located at various state capitals and county seats around the system. The head of the Le...
The Delaware and Hudson Canal Company was incorporated in 1823. The name was changed in 1899 to Delaware and Hudson Company. In 1930 a new corporation was formed, the Delaware and Hudson Railroad Corporation, which took over the railroad properties of the Delaware and Hudson Company. In 1968 most of the assets of the Railroad Corporation were acquired by a new corporation, the Delaware and Hudson Railway Company. From the description of Report of L. F. Loree, president to the executi...
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) was founded in 1827, and operated from the Great Lakes, Ohio, through the mid-Atlantic. The B&O's successor, CSX Corporation, was created in 1987 from interim holding companies. From the description of Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company personnel records, circa 1940-1979. (Pennsylvania State University Libraries). WorldCat record id: 760082029 ...
Associate Professor of Economics and Political Science at Washington and Lee University (1902-1908). Served on several government commissions and committees and as an economist for the United Mine Workers and United Automotive Workers of America. From the description of W. Jett Lauck papers, 1913-1947. (Wayne State University, Archives of Labor & Urban). WorldCat record id: 32321090 ...
A member of the Princeton Class of 1898, Lee first worked as a journalist in New York and held a press job with the Democratic National Committee. Post-1904, he was an adviser on public relations to leading industrialists, such as John D. Rockefeller and the Guggenheims. In 1916, he opened Ivy Lee and Associates, a public relations firm that took on many prominent clients, including various investment houses, industrial organizations, and philanthropic institutions. Lee was the author of a numbe...
The family firm of E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company was established in 1802 and during the 19th century it became one of the United States' most important manufacturers of black powder. In 1902 three younger du Pont cousins: T. Coleman, Alfred I., and Pierre S. took over the company and within three years succeeded in bringing 75% of the American explosives industry (which at that time included black powder, dynamite, and smokeless powder) under their control. During the first decade of the...
Union representing the needs and concerns of locomotive engineers. From the description of Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers records, 1906-1971. (Wyoming State Archives). WorldCat record id: 166428920 The Brotherhood of the Footboard was founded in 1863 and in 1864 changed its name to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (BLE). The General Committee of Adjustment for each railroad system is comprised of all the general chairmen on that particular railroad and is respons...
Clyde Bruce Aitchison (1875-1962) was an attorney and Interstate Commerce Commissioner. He was born in Iowa, educated at Hastings College, Neb., University of Oregon, and American University. He began the practice of law at Council Bluffs, Iowa in 1896, and moved to Portland, Ore., in 1903. He was Commissioner of the Oregon Railroad Commission and its successor the Public Service Commission, 1907-1916, and solicitor for the National Association of Railroad Commissioners, 1916-1917. From 1917 to ...
The Association of American Railroads formed in 1934 primarily to represent the freight railroad industry. The East Broad Top Railroad and Coal Company was a short-line narrow gauge railroad, chartered in 1856 and built in 1872-1874 to service the coal fields of the remote Broad Top Mountain area of south-central Pennsylvania and to haul that product to the Pennsylvania Railroad at Mount Union or to on-line iron furnaces. The East Broad Top ceased operations in 1956 but ...
The Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen was founded in 1883 in Oneonta, New York as a protective and insurance organization. By the time of its merger with three other railroad labor unions to form the United Transportation Union in 1969, it had the greatest membership of any of the operating railroad brotherhoods. From the description of Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen series 6. General subject files, 1897-1968, bulk 1934-1968. (Cornell University Library). WorldCat record id: 6475550...
The National War Labor Board, a tri-partite body established in 1942 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was charged with acting as an arbitration tribunal in labor-management dispute cases, thereby preventing work stoppages which might hinder the war effort. It was also responsible for determining wage adjustments in accordance with anti-inflationary wage stabilization criteria and policies. From the description of Series 1. General case files, 1913-1946, bulk 1942-1946. (Cornell Un...
The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western R. R. Co. was headquartered at 49 Wall St., New York, N.Y. It had many local stations, including one in New Milford, Pa. D. W. Hagen was an agent at the New Milford Station in the 1870s. From the description of Receipt book, 1853-1862, 1875-1888. (Winterthur Library). WorldCat record id: 261228863 The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad was one of the largest and most prosperous anthracite mining and transporting co...
Epithet: of Bermuda British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue : Person : Description : ark:/81055/vdc_100000000355.0x000383 Epithet: solicitor British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue : Person : Description : ark:/81055/vdc_100000000355.0x000386 Epithet: of Dublin British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue : Person : Description : ark:/81055/vdc_100000000355.0x000384 ...
Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, originally named Louisa Railroad in Louisa County, Virginia, was founded in 1836 and reached the foot of the Appalachian Mountains at what is now Clifton Forge by 1850. For more information, please see the W.L. Eury Appalachian Collections' Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad web page. From the description of George Washington's railroad Chesapeake and Ohio Lines correspondence, 1935. (Western North Carolina Library Network). WorldCat record id: 213416394 ...
Point of entry for many people migrating to the United States. From the description of Passanger list, 1840. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 122425097 ...
Western Maryland Railway was chartered as the Baltimore, Carroll and Frederick Railroad by Maryland in 1852 and renamed Western Maryland Railroad in 1853. By 1870, the Western Maryland Railroad was actively involved in coal. Chesapeake and Ohio Railraod purchased it in 1968. For more information, please see the W.L. Eury Appalachian Collections' Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad website and Brief history of several rail companies active in Appalachia. From the description of Randolph Aven...