School of Architecture papers 1912-1960


School of Architecture papers 1912-1960

Collection contains the papers of the School of Architecture at the University of Minnesota.

5 boxes; (6.5 linear feet)



SNAC Resource ID: 6619279

Related Entities

There are 9 Entities related to this resource.

University of Minnesota. College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (corporateBody)

University of Minnesota. College of Engineering and Architecture (corporateBody)

In 1868, the University of Minnesota established the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. It was renamed the College of Mechanic Arts in 1872 after becoming an independent college by an act of the State Legislature. In 1891, the School of Mines was created and incorporated into the engineering college and in 1892 the name of the college was changed to the College of Engineering, Metallurgy and Mechanic Arts. After five years, in 1896, the School of Mines was detached from the College of Eng...

Rapson, Ralph, 1914-2008 (person)

Buffington, L. S. (Leroy Sunderland), 1847-1931 (person)

Leroy Sunderland Buffington was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1847 and received all of his formal education there. His first employment was with the architectural firm of Hannaford and Anderson, whom he left in 1871 to move with his wife of two years to St. Paul. He entered partnership with Abraham Radcliffe, an established architect, which lasted until 1874 when he moved to Minneapolis and opened an office that he continued to maintain until 1931. He had no partners.In 1880, he was appointed the...

Tau Sigma Delta (corporateBody)

Jones, Roy Childs, 1885-1963. (person)

Roy Childs Jones was born in Kendallville, Indiana on June 22, 1885. He attended Purdue University and the University of Pennsylvania, obtaining a B.S. in architecture in 1908 and his M.S. in architecture in 1914. Following his undergraduate work, he was employed by Holabird & Root in Chicago and McKim, Mead and White in New York, and while pursuing graduate study he joined the University of Minnesota School of Architecture staff in 1913. Jones was head of the School from 1937 to 1953. From ...

University of Minnesota. School of Architecture (corporateBody)

Architecture courses were first introduced into the curriculum at the University of Minnesota as early as 1874 within the College of Mechanic Arts. In 1913, a full course of architecture was established. Frederick Mann was appointed chair and two faculty were also added that year, Roy Childs Jones and Lewis B. Walton. Courses in drawing, design specifications, decorative composition and materials construction were offered. In 1915, the College of Engineering and Architec...

Mann, Frederick M. (person)

University of Minnesota. School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture (corporateBody)