Seattle City Light Regional Power Management Records 1943-1982
There are 8 Entities related to this resource.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) was founded in 1970 as an environmental action organization by a group of American attorneys and law students. Several New York City lawyers, who sought to block construction of a Consolidated Edison power plant at Storm King Mountain on the Hudson River, established the Natural Resources Defense League and hired John H. Adams as its first executive director. The organization soon changed its name to the Natural Resources Defense Council,...
Seattle Dept. of Lighting and Water Works created in 1890; city charter amendment in 1910 created the Lighting Dept.; in 1951 the Department purchased the private electrical power supply operations in Seattle; current name of the agency was adopted in 1978 when the Department was reorganized. Seattle approved the purchase of the land and money for construction of the plant in 1913; construction began in 1914, and was finished in 1917. Additions were made in 1918 and 1921. The plant was decommiss...