Yale university. Sheffield scientific schoolVariant names
In 1847, Yale established the Department of Philosophy and Arts, which offered courses in philosophy, the arts, and the sciences. As the scientific fields gained in strength, the School of Applied Chemistry and the School of Engineering were developed. These schools were combined in 1854 to form the Yale Scientific School. In 1858 Joseph Earl Sheffield purchased the old Medical Institution and presented it to Yale, along with scientific apparatus and an endowment. The new school, dedicated as the Sheffield Scientific School, in 1861 became one of the first schools of higher education in the United States to devote its curriculum specifically to scientific training. The faculty conducted graduate as well as undergraduate courses in the sciences and engineering until 1919 when the former were discontinued. In 1954 graduate level courses were reinstated. The School's functions were absorbed by the Graduate School in 1956.
From the description of Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University, records, 1846-1969 (inclusive). (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 702170018
From the guide to the Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University, class records, 1908-1974, (Manuscripts and Archives)
The Sheffield Scientific School, like the Graduate School, had its origins in the Department of Philosophy and the Arts established in 1847. It was given its name by the Yale Corporation in 1861 in recognition of the support of Joseph Earl Sheffield of New Haven who not only gave the first building but also provided funds for its equipment and development. Subsequently he made other gifts and finally bequeathed to a corporation, the Board of Trustees of the Sheffield S cientific School, a substantial endowment which was to be held and adninistered by the Trustees for the benefit of the natural, physical, and mathematical sciences in Yale University.
Sheffield was one of the first schools of higher education in the United States to devote its curriculum specifically to scientific training. The School played an important part in the evolution of American higher learning from the strict classical model of education t o a curriculum which encompassed a liberal scientific education.
The faculty of the School conducted graduate as well as undergraduate courses i n the sciences and engineering until 1919 when the former were discontinued. In 1932, engineering instruction was transferred to the newly organized Yale School of Engineering. In 1945 Sheffield resumed its original function of teaching at the graduate level. Under the general administration of the Graduate School, its faculty furnished instruction to graduate students in the sciences and mathematics who were M.A. and Ph.D. candidates. In 1956 the School's functions were absorbed by the Graduate School. The Directors of Sheffield Scientific School were: George Jarvis Brush, 1872-1898; Russell Henry Chittenden, 1898-1922; Charles Hyde Warren, 1922-1945; Edmund Ware Linnott, 1945-1956.
For further information see History of the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University, 1846-1922 by Russell H. Chittenden (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1928).
Yale establishes professorships of Agricultural Chemistry and Applied Chemistry "for the purpose of giving instruction to graduates and others not members of the undergraduate classes"
"a School of Applied Chemistry" is embraced within the newly created Department of Philosophy and the Arts
authorization of the Bachelor of Philosophy degree to be awrded by the Department of Philosophy and the Arts professorship of Civil Engineering established the Yale School of Engineering is organized under William A. Norton
1853- 1854: Science (School of Applied Chemistry) and engineering (School of Engineering) courses are independent, but classed together in the catalogue under "the aegis of a non-existent institution"- the Yale Scientific School
"Proposed Plan for a complete organization of the School of Science" and "Appeal in Behalf of the Yale Scientific School, with an Index": fundraising pamphlets issued
Joseph Earl Sheffield donates funds and property on the northeast comer of Grove and Prospect Streets to the Scientific School
1860- 1932: Engineering courses are offered in the Scientific School
degree in Civil Engineering established degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the Scientific School established
Yale Scientific School becomes the Sheffield Scientific School in recognition of the continuous generosity of Joseph Earl Sheffield
the Sheffield Scientific School, through an Act of the Connecticut General Assembly, begins to receive the income from the Land Grant Fund of the State
courses in Mining and Metallurgy announced "Public Lectures to Mechanics " instituted, later known as the "Sheffield Lectures", given for 45 years
First Yale Scientific Expedition organized by Professor Othniel Marsh
Articles of Incorporation of the Board of Trustees of the Sheffield Scientific School drawn up a t the suggestion of Joseph Earl Sheffield. Board to consist of nine directors including the Governor of Connecticut, the President of Yale University, the Chairman of the Trustees of the Peabody Museum and at least three professors in the Sheffield Scientific School
1872- 1898: George Jarvis Brush, Director of the Sheffield Scientific School
Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station established on a permanent basis by the Connecticut General Assembly with one of its Board of Control to be elected by the Trustees of the Sheffield Scientific School
The Connecticut General Assembly passes an Act making Storrs Agricultural College the Land Grant College of Connecticut. Damages amounting to $154,604.45 were paid to the University and became a part of the permanent funds of the Sheffield Scientific School
Semi-centennial celebration of the Sheffield Scientific School
1898- 1922: Russell Henry Chittenden, Director of the Sheffield Scientific School
Pierson-Sage Square property acquired for development of University laboratories
land purchased at East Lyme for a field engineering camp
"Students in the Sheffield Scientific School who are able to comply with the entrance requirements of the School of Medicine may combine their College and Medical courses, entering the School of Medicine at the beginning of their third College year"
Voted "that in the opinion of the Corporation, the reasons which led to the establishment and maintenance of a course of 'Selected Studies in language, literature, history and Natural and Social Sciences' under the administration of the Faculty of the Sheffield Scientific School are no longer valid"
1918- 1919: general reorganization of the educational structure of Yale University. Three year "Select" course at the Shef f ield Scientific School eliminated. A four year course of study "for students who wished to undertake the professional study of science and engineering" established graduate courses are transferred to the Graduate School
1919- 1945: only undergraduate courses taught at the Sheffield Scientific School
first award of the degree of Bachelor of Science to the graduating class of the Sheffield Scientific School
1922- 1945: Charles Kyde Warren, Dean
1932- 1962: the School of Engineering re-established. Sheffield Scientific School engineering courses transferred to the new school
the Sheffield Scientific School resumes its original function of graduate level instruction in science. Undergraduate courses for a Bachelor of Science transferred t o Yale College. Undergraduate courses for a Bachelor of Science in industrial administration transferred to the School of Engineering
1945- 1956: Edmund Ware Sinnott, Director (also Dean of the Graduate School, 1950-1956)
Centennial celebration of the Sheffield Scientific School
termination of the Sheffield Scientific School as an active school although the Board of Trustees still exists to oversee the Sheffield Scientific School property and meet legal requirements. Yale University Provost becomes Chairman of the Board. Faculty is defined as teachers of science to graduate students under the Division of Science
North Sheffield Hall (1872-1873) and Winchester Hall (1892) removed to provide site for a new laboratory
From the guide to the Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University, records, 1846-1970, (Manuscripts and Archives)
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|
|Engineering--Study and teaching|
|Science--Study and teaching (Higher)|
|Lectures and lecturing|
|College students--Societies, etc|
|Universities and colleges--Finance|
|Universities and colleges--Administration|