Materials related to the Eastman Building of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute. The building was constructed in 1900 and financed by George Eastman. The collection contains materials from the building's official opening such as programs, miscellaneous ephemera, newspaper clippings, a scrapbook commemorating the event, and items originally encapsulated in the building's cornerstone. Also included are several items pertaining to the building and its operations from throughout the 20th century. The Eastman Building collection contains a variety of materials related to the building and its opening ceremonies. Many of the materials are from the early 20th century when the structure was first built, such as official guides to the opening week's events, menus from dinners commemorating the establishment, a historical sketch of the Rochester Athenaeum and Mechanics Institute from 1900, and tickets to the opening ceremony and the "Busy America" exhibit. The collection includes some planning materials, such as a record book from the planning committee and fundraising budget materials.Additionally, the collection contains materials that were encapsulated in the cornerstone of the Eastman Building on October 15, 2009. These include administrative and governance documents such as by-laws, annual addresses, annual reports, and enrollment statistics; documents related to the fundraising efforts of the Institute during the 1890s; printed material from the university, such as catalogs, brochures, and course descriptions; lectures by various individuals on topics such as sanitary plumbing and the ideal home; materials that provide a historical sketch and general overview of the university and its operations; and newspapers from the time that the building was erected. Also of interest is a copy of a letter written to Ezra R. Andrews, a former president of the Board of Directors for RAMI, from Susan B. Anthony. In the letter, Anthony states her support for the Institute and its role in providing "the best opportunities for practical education on every possible line" for both men and women.The collection contains two scrapbooks of news clippings related to the building's construction and the opening ceremonies. There are also several loose clippings and photocopies of clippings in the collection.In addition to these early materials, the collection includes several items from the time the building was in use. For instance, there are documents related to a proposed extension on the building in 1950 and a letter announcing a change to the building's address. There are also materials related to the building's closure, such as a square footage summary, a memorandum regarding the sale of the cafeteria furniture, and an article on the building's state of disrepair in 1973.