General historical records, 1872-1976.
There are 12 Entities related to this resource.
In 1887 Ohio General Assembly enacted legislation that created a Combined Normal and Industrial Department at Wilberforce University to provide teacher training for blacks, to inaugurate technical training programs, and to stabilize these programs for minority students by assuring a financial base similar to that of other state-supported institution; although "open to all applicants of good and moral character" it was clear that the department and its successors were designed to serve the educat...
Wilberforce University has its beginnings in a 28 Sept. 1853 meeting, during which the Cincinnati Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church agreed to fund a coeducational college for African-American people of the state to be called Ohio African University and to be located in Tawas Springs, Ohio. Chartered as Wilberforce University in 1856, enrollment reached 207 people, and second year collegiate instruction was offered. Because of financial difficulties due to the Civil War (1861-1865), th...
Organized in 1816 from a congregation formed by a group of blacks who withdrew in 1787 from St. George's Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia because of discrimination; Richard Allen was consecrated the first bishop in 1816. From the description of African Methodist Episcopal Church collection, 1914-1971 (bulk 1950-1971). (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 70962830 ...
Temperance organization, with offices in Columbia, S.C., at 1302 Main Street near Lady Street; founded, 1893, in Oberlin, Ohio. From the description of Records, 1919 July 14-1920 Feb. 17. (University of South Carolina). WorldCat record id: 56526390 ...