Records, 1974-1976 (bulk 1974-1976)
There are 6 Entities related to this resource.
Great Northern Paper Company began with construction of a mill in Millinocket, Maine, in 1899, followed by the acquisition of an existing mill at Madison, Maine, and the construction of a third mill in East Millinocket in 1906. The company's timberland holdings reached over 2 million acres in the 1940s; in addition it owned dams and hydroelectric stations including Dolby and Ripogenus dams, farms, a hotel, and several vessels. In 1970 the company merged with Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co. to become G...
The Penobscot Paddle and Chowder Society, organized in 1968-1969, is a family-oriented group which through its activities promotes interest in paddling, paddling instruction, river safety, and conservation. A volunteer organization, it seeks to make canoeing and kayaking safe, accessible, and fun. Its members come from throughout New England but are primarily from the Penobscot River area in central Maine. The Society sponsors paddling, hiking and cross-country skiing trips for its members as we...
Central Maine Power Company (CMP) was founded in 1899 when Harvey D. Eaton, an attorney from Waterville, Maine, and Walter S. Wyman, an engineer, bought the Oakland Electric Company. This company, organized in 1887, owned a hydroelectric generator which provided street lighting and electricity to the community of Oakland, Maine. Eaton and Wyman recognized early on the potential for generating electricity that Maine's rivers provided. The company acquired small hydroelectric companies and develop...