President's Office records, 1870-2002.
There are 25 Entities related to this resource.
The University of Oregon was created by an act of the Oregon Legislature in 1872. In 1876, the Legislature passed an act to "Provide for the Support and Government of the University of Oregon." Section 2 of that act vested the government of the University in a nine-person Board of Regents. In 1929, the Legislature established the State Department of Higher Education and invested it with the power previously held by the individual Boards of Regents at all Oregon universities. Some of the function...
George Wilcox Peavy was born 12 November 1869 in Howell, Michigan. He received his Bachelor's degree in Liberal Arts at the University of Michigan. He obtained his Master of Science degree in Forestry at his alma mater. After receiving his M.S. degree in Forestry in 1905, he entered the United States Forest Service, during which time he traveled throughout the United States and Europe, observing and writing about forestry use and practices. In 1910 Peavy was selected to become the head of the ne...
Robert W. MacVicar, OSU President from 1970 to 1984, was born at Princeton, Minnesota on September 28, 1918. He attended the University of Wyoming, graduating with honors in 1939 with a B.S. degree in Chemistry. MacVicar continued his education at Oklahoma State University where he received a masters degree in Chemistry in 1940. After serving in the Army from 1939 to 1945, MacVicar attended the University of Wisconsin, where he completed his Ph. D. in Biochemistry in 1946. MacVicar returned to O...
Corvallis College, the predecessor institution to Oregon State University, was incorporated in 1858 as a coeducational institution of primary and preparatory education. Plagued by financial instability, the College changed hands several times and added college-level coursework in the 1860s. In 1868, Corvallis College was designated and adopted as the agricultural college of the State of Oregon by the Oregon Legislative Assembly and given land grant status. The December 31, 1859 issue (number 48)...
John McKnight Bloss (1839-1905) served as President of Oregon Agricultural College from 1892 until 1896. He entered Hanover College, Indiana in 1854 and received an A.B. degree with honors in 1860; in 1864-1865 he studied medicine at Ohio Medical College in Cincinnati. Bloss fought with the 27th Indiana Volunteer Infantry in General McClellan's Army of the Potomac during the Civil War. On the morning of September 13th, 1862, Sergeant Bloss found what would later be known as "Lee's Lost Dispatch"...
On March 6, 1961, Governor Mark Hatfield signed into law the legislative act which changed the name of the institution from Oregon State College to Oregon State University. A.L. Strand served as president of Oregon State from 1942 until his retirement in 1961. Robert W. MacVicar came to Oregon State University in 1970 and served as the University President from then until his retirement in 1984. He was followed as President by John V. Byrne who served for 11 years until the end of 1995. Byrne's ...