Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr founded Hull House on September 18, 1889, at the corner of Polk and Halsted Streets. Eventually, this social service agency grew to comprise 13 buildings on the city's Near West Side. In the 1920s, nearly 9,000 people visited Hull House per week. In 1891, Jane Addams provided library space in the Butler Gallery of Hull House as an added feature to the social movement occurring on Chicago's Near West Side. The children's reading room was stocked with books supplied by the Chicago Public Library, and the collections included a display of toys from around the world to tap the imaginations of the children viewing them. The library also had collections serving young adults and adults.