Gladys Tilden papers, 1875-1982.
There are 29 Entities related to this resource.
Frederick B. Adams was director of the Pierpont Morgan Library. From the description of Correspondence : with Carl Zigrosser, 1948-1964. (University of Pennsylvania Library). WorldCat record id: 155902633 Noted collector, scholar and friend of Robert Frost. From the description of Introduction of Robert Frost at the Poetry Center, 1962 April 15. (University of Virginia). WorldCat record id: 50420452 ...
Arthur D. Spearman, S.J. was born on August 26, 1899, in Wheaton, Illinois. He was the son of Frank Spearman (1859-1937), a convert to Catholicism, essayist and novelist who specialized in tales of the West such as Whispering Smith. Father Spearman entered the Society of Jesus on June 15, 1918 and was ordained on June 25, 1931. Most of his priestly life was spent in the California Province. His work embraced teaching and writing but his principal assignments were as Prefect of Libraries. Spearma...
Midred Albronda (1912-1998), is best known as a biographer who specialized in recounting the lives of California artists and a pioneer in making art and art history more accessible to the deaf. From the description of Mildred Albronda papers, ca. 1970-1998. (University of California, Berkeley). WorldCat record id: 85035845 ...
Alan Ottley was born in Vancouver, B.C. in 1909 but has been a resident of California since he was 13. He graduated from Santa Barbara High School and Santa Barbara State College and completed library school in Riverside. He worked in the Humboldt County Library and the Sacramento City Library and, after serving with the Navy in the South Pacific, began his long association with the California Section of the California State Library. Mr. Ottley has been active in many professional, ...
Tilden, a sculptor, who lost his hearing and speech at a young age due to scarlet fever, was educated at what would later become the California School for the Deaf (Berkeley), where he later taught. He was a founder of the California Association of the Deaf. From the description of Douglas Tilden papers, 1860-1970. (University of California, Berkeley). WorldCat record id: 227464622 Biographical Chronology [Excerpted from ...
Richard Josef Neutra was born in 1892 in Vienna; immigrated to US, 1923; Frank Lloyd Wright invited him to Taliesin during the fall of 1924; Neutra moved to Los Angeles, CA, 1925; most productive years were during 1930s and 1940s; spent most of his last decade in partnership with his son, Dion; published several books, including Wie baut Amerika? (1927) and Survival through design (1954); died in 1970. From the description of Papers, 1925-1970. (University of California, Los Angeles)...
Agency History The State Reform School at Marysville, established in 1860 ( Stats. 1860, ch. 234), opened as California's first state institution for the reform of juvenile offenders. The school operated for eight years, transferring twenty-eight wards at its closing in 1868 to the San Francisco Industrial School. Established and run as a city and county institution in 1858 (ch. 209), the Industrial School at San Francisco remained open until...
Gladys Tilden, daughter of the renowned California sculptor, Douglas Tilden. She served as a business manager, copy editor & editorial assistant at the office of French Vogue, wrote French and German synopses for Paramount Pictures, was a traveling representative for Bonwit-Teller, and free-lanced for Vogue and House and Garden. She also was the first woman managing editor in the engineering department of Douglas Aircraft Company, taught mechanics and edited a variety of other publications. ...
Anglo-American memoirist, social commentator, journalist and author. From the description of Papers, 1949-1973 (bulk 1961-1973). (Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center (HRC); University of Texas at Austin). WorldCat record id: 122452906 Jessica Mitford, a.k.a. Decca, was a writer and one of the famous Mitford sisters, daughters of the 2nd Baron Redesdale. Her books include two autobiographies: Daughters and rebels and A fine old conflict. Her many investigative works inclu...
Originally called Bonwit's when it was founded in 1895 as a specialty shop for women's apparel in 1895, it became Bonwit Teller in 1897 when Edmund D. Teller joined as a partner. After several moves, Bonwit Teller eventually moved to its 57th Street location. When Paul Bonwit retired in 1934, the store was sold to Atlas Corporation. In 1989, L.J. Hooker, Bonwit Teller's owning company, filed for Chapter 11, and in 1990 the firm was liquidated. From the description of Bonwit Teller sc...