Eugenics Record Office Records 1670-1964

ArchivalResource

Eugenics Record Office Records 1670-1964

In 1910, the Eugenics Record Office was founded in Cold Spring Harbor, New York, as a center for the study of human heredity and a repository for genetic data on human traits. It merged with the Station for Experimental Evolution in 1920 to become the Department of Genetics at the Carnegie Institution, and under the direction of Charles B. Davenport and later of Albert Blakeslee and Milislav Demerec, it became the most important center for eugenic research in the nation. However with intellectual currents shifting, the Carnegie Institution stopped funding the office in 1939. It remained active until 1944, when its records were transferred to the Charles Fremont Dight Institute for the Promotion of Human Genetics at the University of Minnesota. When the Dight closed in 1991, the genealogical material was filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah and given to the Center for Human Genetics; the non-genealogical material was not filmed and was given to the American Philosophical Society Library. Following the original order, the ERO Records are organized into thirteen series: I. Trait Files, 1670-1964 ; II. Trait Card Boxes, 1904-1939 ; III. Family Traits Card Boxes, 1920-1939 ; IV. RFT Submitters Card Catalog, 1910s-1930s ; V. Record of Family Traits, 1911-1940 ; VI. Fitter Family Studies, 1913-1936 ; VII. Field Worker Files, 1911-1926 ; VIII. Volunteer Collaborators, 1912-1939 ; IX. Pedigrees, 1828-1926 ; X. Harry H. Laughlin Files, 1915-1938 ; XI. Bibliographia Eugenica, 1734-1934 ; XII. Midget Schedules, 1919-1964 ; XIII. Index Card Boxes, 1910s-1930s.

330.5 Linear feet

Related Entities

There are 7 Entities related to this resource.

Carnegie Institution. Department of Genetics

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6x199jv (corporateBody)

Smithsonian Institution. Bureau of American Ethnology

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w65f9fxr (corporateBody)

The Bureau of American Ethnology was established in 1879 by an act of Congress for the purpose of transferring archives, records and materials relating to the Native American tribes from the Interior Department to the Smithsonian Institution. The Bureau's founding director was John Wesley Powell. In 1897, the Bureau's name was changed from Bureau of Ethnology to Bureau of American Ethnology to indicate the primary geographic limit of its focus. In 1965, the BAE merged with the Smithsonian Ins...

Station for Experimental Evolution

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6fk5kfg (corporateBody)

Laughlin, Harry Hamilton, 1880-1943

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6x64877 (person)

Harry Laughlin was director of the Eugenics Records Office in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island from 1910-1940. Laughlin, as one of the leaders in the eugenics movement, was interested in genetics research and furthering the eugenical cause. From the description of Harry H. Laughlin papers, 1910-1939. (Truman State University). WorldCat record id: 50916227 ...

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Press

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6mm1593 (corporateBody)

Davenport, Charles Benedict, 1866-1944

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6q81g5h (person)

Charles B. Davenport was a biologist and director of the Department of Genetics at the Carnegie Institution of Washington (1904-1934). From the description of Papers, 1874-1944. (American Philosophical Society Library). WorldCat record id: 122488735 Charles B. Davenport's influence and efforts at Cold Spring Harbor, New York, began in 1898 when he became the director of the summer school of the Biological Laboratory, a position he held until 1923. The lab was administered by...

Eugenics Record Office

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6qs0j1b (corporateBody)

The Eugenics Record Office was founded in 1910 and in 1920 merged with the Station for Experimental Evolution to become the Dept. of Genetics at the Carnegie Institution, in Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, directed by Charles Davenport. It was a repository for genetic data on human traits. The Carnegie Institution stopped funding the E.R.O. in 1939, but the Office was active until 1944. The records were then transferred to the Charles Fremont Dight Institute for the Promotion of Human Genetics ...