College of Physicians of Philadelphia Library records Bulk, 1953-2007 1807-2007
There are 13 Entities related to this resource.
In the 1870s the Surgeon General's library occupied space in Ford's theater in Washington, D.C. Beginning in 1872 library officials began seeking legislative funding and approval for a proper building. Concerted efforts during the 1880s won approval for a new building at 7th and Independence, which was occupied in 1887. In the 1910s, having outgrown this facility, the library began requesting another new building. These attempts failed until 1938, when a new Armed Forces Medical Library building...
The Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine was established in 1976 to promote to the scholarly community the rich historical resources of the College's historical library and the Mütter Museum. The Institute sponsors conferences, occasional seminars, and short-term travel grants to researchers who require the resources of the museum and library. According to the History of Science Society, “the Wood Institute is the historical programming arm of the College of Phys...
Lisabeth Marie Holloway, medical librarian, was born in 1926. She attended the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University, was Associate Curator and Curator of the Historical Collections of the Library of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, 1964-1976, and Director of the Center for the History of Foot Care and Footwear of the Pennsylvania College of Podiatric Medicine. From the description of Collection of biographical information on physicians, 1663-1977. (College of Ph...
Established in 1791, the Library of the College of Physicians was Philadelphia’s central medical library for over 150 years, serving medical schools, hospitals, physicians and other health professionals. Today, it is an independent research library devoted to the history of medicine and serves hundreds of scholars, health professionals, students and popular writers each year. In addition to its historical research resources, over the last half century the library has bee...