Victor Hugo Lane was the Fletcher Professor of Law at the University of Michigan from 1897-1928. Previously he served a judge of the Michigan First Judicial Circuit Court from 1888-1897.
Lane was born May 27, 185 in Geneva, Ohio to Henry and Clotilda Catherine Sawyer Lane. The family moved to Hudson, Michigan in 1866. Lane enrolled in the University of Michigan in 1879, earning a degree in civil engineering in 1874. After two years of practice, he returned to the university and received a law degree in 1878. While in law school, Lane married Ida M. Knowlton, sister of professor and future dean of the Law School Jerome C. Knowlton. Lane established his first practice in Hudson and later moved to Adrian, from where he was appointed to the circuit court bench.
In addition to his teaching role, Lane was appointed law librarian and served the university in many other capacities including member and chairman of the Board in Control of Intercollegiate Athletics, President of the University Alumni Association and President of the University Y.M.C.A. He was also an active member, serving as elder, of the First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor.
Lane died January 24, 1930. He is buried in Forest Hills cemetery in Ann Arbor.
From the guide to the Victor Hugo Lane papers, 1897-1929, (Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan)