National Jewish Hospital (U.S.)Variant names
Non-sectarian sanatorium for treatment of tuberculosis opened in 1899 in Denver, Colo. Patients from all over the U.S. were admitted free of charge. With the assistance of the national B'nai B'rith fraternal organization, the hospital was founded by group of Jewish residents of Denver who were of German descent. Early founders included Frances Wisebart Jacobs and Rabbi William Friedman of Denver's Congregation Emmanual. Samuel Grabfelder served as president from 1899-1929; Seraphine Pisko was executive secretary from 1911-1942. In 1997 the organization changed its name to National Jewish Medical and Research Center and focused on lung, allergic and immune diseases.
From the description of National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives records, 1899-1998. (University of Denver, Penrose Library). WorldCat record id: 40455359
One of the first people to conceive of a free hospital for the indigent tuberculosis victims in Denver, Colorado, was Frances Wisebart Jacobs. She realized the reality of the situation in Denver, launching a relentless campaign to arouse public awareness on behalf of the indigent consumptives. She sought out businessmen and political leaders to get their support in raising funds for a new hospital. She found an ally in a young, energetic rabbi who had just come to Denver, Rabbi William Sterne Friedman. Rabbi Friedman enlisted the financial support of some of the trustees of his congregation, Temple Emanuel, pleading that concern for the sick and indigent has always been a vital tenet of Jewish tradition.
Mrs. Jacobs was the impetus behind the founding of the hospital which finally opened its doors in 1899, National Jewish Hospital was the first sanatorium in Denver for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International Order of B'nai B'rith, the hospital opened its doors to Jews and gentiles alike. This vital support came largely through the efforts of Louis Anfenger, a prominent local Jewish citizen who was also a founder of both Temple Emanuel and the Denver B'nai B'rith. The National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives opened with one hospital building - the Frances Jacobs Hospital Building. Samuel Grabfelder of Louisville, Kentucky, was named president, and Alfred Mueller was named secretary.
As a result of this national support, National Jewish Hospital introduced a revolutionary concept to tuberculosis treatment by offering free services to indigent consumptives. The minutes of September 24, 1899, state that "no pay shall be accepted from any patient and that the hospital should be absolutely free to those suffering from consumption, who are unable for want of means to procure proper attention." Only patients with incipient tuberculosis, where treatment could be most efficacious, were to be admitted to NJH, and the length of stay was limited to six months. These conditions reflect the medical opinion of the time and the scarcity of hospital beds for consumptives. It was commonly thought that attempting to treat advanced cases only wasted time and money that could be more profitably directed toward patients who had a good chance of recovery. For over a century, the National Jewish Hospital has provided quality medical care to people from all over the nation.
In 1978, National Jewish Hospital merged with the National Asthma Center, whose records are also part of the Ira M. Beck Memorial Archives. Today National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine continues to treat patients from throughout the country with cutting-edge medicine and research.
From the guide to the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives' records, 1899-2000, (Ira M. Beck Memorial Archives, Special Collections and Archives, Penrose Library, University of Denver, 2150 E. Evans Ave., Denver, CO 80208-2007)
|creatorOf||National Jewish Hospital (U.S.). Correspondence to Chaim Potok, 1967-1976.||University of Pennsylvania Library|
|creatorOf||National Jewish Hospital (U.S.). History and reports 1930.||Denver Public Library, Central Library|
|referencedIn||Anfenger, Milton L. (Milton Louis), 1874-1952. Milton Louis Anfenger papers, 1896-1953.||University of Denver, University Libraries, Anderson Academic Commons|
|creatorOf||National Jewish Hospital (U.S.). National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives records, 1899-1998.||University of Denver, University Libraries, Anderson Academic Commons|
|referencedIn||University of Connecticut, President's Office Records [John A. DiBiaggio, 1979-1985], undated, 1952-1986.||Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Center.|
|referencedIn||Joseph Clark Grew papers, 1904-1948||Houghton Library|
|creatorOf||National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives' records, 1899-2000||Ira M. Beck Memorial Archives, Special Collections and Archives, Penrose Library, University of Denver, 2150 E. Evans Ave., Denver, CO 80208-2007|
|referencedIn||National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives' records, 1899-2000||Ira M. Beck Memorial Archives, Special Collections and Archives, Penrose Library, University of Denver, 2150 E. Evans Ave., Denver, CO 80208-2007|
|referencedIn||Don Shoemaker Papers, 1937-1998||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. Southern Historical Collection|
|referencedIn||Gore Vidal papers, 1850-2020 (inclusive), 1936-2008 (bulk)||Houghton Library|
|referencedIn||Baron de Hirsch Fund Records, undated, 1819-1991 (bulk 1882-1935)||American Jewish Historical Society|
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|
|Jews--Cultural assimilation--United States|
|Jewish women--United States|