Stuart Gerry Brown (1912- ) was an American author, educator, and political consultant. He taught at Syracuse University for nearly twenty years.
Born April 13, 1912, in Buffalo, New York, to Charles H., Jr. and Edith (Brown) Brown, he received his A.B. degree from Amherst College in 1934 and his Ph.D. from Princeton University in 1937. In 1937 he became an English instructor at the University of Wisconsin. In 1940, he went to Grinnell College as an associate professor of English and was a full professor of English when he left Grinnell in 1947 to become a professor of Citizenship and American Culture at the Maxwell Graduate School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University. During 1961-1962 and 1964-1965, he was visiting professor at the East-West Cultural Center at the University of Hawaii. In August of 1965, Mr. Brown resigned from Syracuse University to become graduate professor of American Studies at the East-West Center.
Brown was a Democratic state committeeman in Iowa, vice president of Americans for Democratic Action in New York State, a campaign aide to Adlai. E. Stevenson and founder of the Stevenson for President Movement in Onondaga County (N.Y.).
He is the author of The First Republicans (1954), Conscience in Politics (1961), Jefferson (1963); and (with C. Peltier) Government in Our Republic (1960). He is the editor of We Hold These Truths, 2nd edition (1948), Great Issues (1948), The Social Philosophy of Josiah Royce (1950), The Religious Philosophy of Josiah Royce (1952), The Autobiography of James Monroe (1959). With Wright Thomas he edited Reading Poems (1941) and Reading Prose (1952), and with H. Bragdon and S. McCutcheon he edited Frame of Government (1962). He also has contributed articles and book reviews to many educational reviews and journals.
Brown had one daughter, Antoinette Franchot, by his first marriage to Katharine Franchot, and two sons, Stuart Gerry and Thomas Stuart, by his second marriage to Mildred Kraus.
From the guide to the Stuart Gerry Brown Papers, 1934-1967, (Special Collections Research Center, Syracuse University Libraries)