The New-York State Colonization Society was organized in 1829 to aid the American Colonization Society to colonize free blacks in Africa; subsequently the New-York State Colonization Society was reorganized and assisted those who offered to emigrate to Liberia. Beginning in the late nineteenth century the society supported educational and health related institutions in Liberia and funded scholarships.
Some of the organizations and institutions funded are: Liberia College, Booker Washington Agricultural and Industrial Institute (modelled after Tuskegee Institute), Cuttington College and Divinity School, Samuel Grimes Maternity and Child Welfare Center and Mount Coffee Experimental Farm. The Colonization Society also granted scholarships to Liberian men seeking advanced training in skills useful to Liberia.
The New-York State Colonization Society was dissolved in 1968 and its assets transferred to the Phelps-Stokes Fund, a foundation sharing similar purposes.
From the description of New-York State Colonization Society records, 1849-1968. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 122364029