Texas Fine Arts Association

Variant names

Hide Profile

The Texas Fine Arts Association was organized in 1911 (but originated in 1909 with Mrs. Joseph Dibrell's purchase of Elisabet Ney's studio, Formosa). In 1943, Clara Driscoll deeded Laguna Gloria to the Association. Both properties were later deeded to the City of Austin. The Association continues to promote the arts in Texas by holding shows and exhibitions.

From the description of Records 1848-1982 1906-1972. 1848-1982. (Austin Public Library). WorldCat record id: 23863727

The Texas Fine Arts Association was founded on April 6, 1911, in honor of Elisabet Ney, an Austin sculptor who lived from 1833 to 1907. It became the first organization to promote art and art activity throughout Texas. The association began their wildly successful touring program in 1927, bringing selected visual arts works to communities throughout Texas. In 1943 Clara Driscoll deeded her estate, Laguna Gloria, to the association to be used as the state art gallery. At first, the property became the exhibition hall for the association, and later became a private art museum. In 1953 the association held a Texas Fine Arts Festival, assisted by the Metropolitan Museum of New York, which lent them both masterpieces and contemporary works by New York artists. In 1966 the Laguna Gloria Art Museum merged with the Texas Fine Arts Holding Company.

The association presents two exhibitions a year, the New American Talent (nationwide) and the Texas Annual for Texas artists. The association also presents educational services as well as conferences for members and nonmembers alike.

Source : Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. Texas Fine Arts Association, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/TT/kit1.html (accessed May 27, 2010).

From the guide to the Texas Fine Arts Association Records 93-210., 1908-1992, (Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin)

Art organization; Austin, Tex.

Founded in 1911 for the purpose of preserving Elisabet Ney's sculpture, after her death in 1907. The main function of TFAA is "to encourage the advancement of Art in Texas and to increase the possibilities of art experience for its communities and its people. In 1943 the Association was deeded the home of Clara Driscoll which is now the Laguna Gloria Art Museum. In 1961, the museum separated from TFAA and was incorporated.

From the description of Texas Fine Arts Association records, 1911-1980. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 81875324

The Texas Fine Arts Association was founded on April 6, 1911, in honor of Elisabet Ney, an Austin sculptor who lived from 1833 to 1907.

It became the first organization to promote art and art activity throughout Texas. The association began their wildly successful touring program in 1927, bringing selected visual arts works to communities throughout Texas. In 1943 Clara Driscoll deeded her estate, Laguna Gloria, to the association to be used as the state art gallery. At first, the property became the exhibition hall for the association, and later became a private art museum. In 1953 the association held a Texas Fine Arts Festival, assisted by the Metropolitan Museum of New York, which lent them both masterpieces and contemporary works by New York artists. In 1966 the Laguna Gloria Art Museum merged with the Texas Fine Arts Holding Company. The association presents two exhibitions a year, the New American Talent (nationwide) and the Texas Annual for Texas artists. The association also presents educational services as well as conferences for members and nonmembers alike.

From the description of Texas Fine Arts Association Records, 1908-1992 (University of Texas Libraries). WorldCat record id: 668462167

Archival Resources

Corporate Body

Active 1911

Active 1980

Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6ck3bt4

Ark ID: w6ck3bt4

SNAC ID: 64862248