Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society.Variant names
Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society, was formed in 1886 at Cornell University as an honor society for science and engineering; the original founders of Sigma Xi were members of the Sibley College of Mechanical Engineering at the university. Moving beyond the Society's early intention of fostering companionship, Sigma Xi has since evolved to offer the sciences a strong, unified voice in support of scientific advancement and achievement.
From the description of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society records, 1928-2003 [manuscript] (North Carolina State University). WorldCat record id: 537697053
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society was formed in 1886 at Cornell University as an honor society for science and engineering. The Greek letters "sigma" and "xi" refer to the words "Spoudon xynones," which translates to "companions in zealous research," the organization's motto. The original founders of Sigma Xi were members of the Sibley College of Mechanical Engineering at Cornell. Members were optimistic that the fledgling society would move engineering beyond basic mechanical and shop training to focus on an academic grounding for the discipline. The new organization also recognized the contributions of scientists - regardless of gender - by admitting women members as early as 1888.
Moving beyond the society's early intention of fostering "companionship," Sigma Xi evolved to offer the sciences a strong, unified voice in support of scientific advancement and achievement. In 1948, Sigma Xi addressed the needs of the growing number of scientists in the industry by establishing a branch known as the Research Society of America (RESA). Though RESA had its own governing board, the two societies worked closely together, eventually uniting in 1973.
After experiencing administrative difficulties in Sigma Xi's first twenty-five years, the delegates voted to create a powerful Executive Committee in 1914. This new board provided a centralized governing body for the organization. The Society's first prominent administrator, Thomas T. Holme, was named executive secretary in 1953, a post he held for the next 28 years. Holme's efforts as secretary made an immediate impact, and led Sigma Xi toward a truly national identity, as the Society and its chapters experienced rapid growth in science beginning in the 1950s. Holme steered the organization through the tremendous changes that occurred in science in the 1960s and 1970s.
Many other prominent leaders succeeded Holme in directing Sigma Xi through the challenges science presented in the 1980s and thereafter. The Society continues to grow in popularity and numbers, boasting over 550 affiliate chapters within North America and around the world. Through the Grants-in-Aid of Research program, Sigma Xi has helped to fund student scientific research for several decades. Sigma Xi also produces a bi-monthly research journal, American Scientist, to further the spread of scientific knowledge. Today, the Society works to continue the promotion of scientific research across all disciplines, and also works to honor achievements in scientific endeavors.
Sigma Xi established its headquarters in Ithaca, New York, at Cornell University in 1886. Eventually the headquarters moved to New Haven, Connecticut, at Yale University, where it remained for the better part of the twentieth century. In 1990, the organization moved its headquarters to Research Triangle Park, in the Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina area.
From the guide to the Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society Records, 1928 - 2003, (Special Collections Research Center)
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|
|Research Triangle Park (N.C.)|
|Science--North America--Societies, etc|