Sir Harold Herbert Williams (1880-1964), critic and scholar, was educated at Liverpool College and Christ's College, Cambridge, where he studied theology. He was ordained deacon and priest in 1904, and became lecturer and chaplain at Ripon Theological College, 1905, then curate at Credition, 1906-1909. Williams relinquished his orders and became university extension lecturer in English literature at Cambridge and London, before serving in the army during World War One. He was called to the bar in 1920, and became a J.P. He was chairman of Hertford County Council, 1947-1952, and chairman of the Local History Council, 1950-1963. In 1950 he was Sandars reader in bibliography at Cambridge. Williams worked on a bibliography of Jonathan Swift's works and published an edition of Swift's poems in 1937 and the Journal to Stella in 1948. He also published five volumes of Swift's Letters (1963-1965). He was president of the Bibliographical Society, 1938-1944, and was knighted in 1951.
From the guide to the Sir Harold Williams: Collections on Jonathan Swift, 17th - 20th century, (Cambridge University Library, Department of Manuscripts and University Archives)