The Newark Young Men's Society was formed on May 13, 1833, the result of a merger of two young men's associations in the City of Newark. The purpose of the society was for the moral and intellectual improvement of the young men in the Town of Newark. The cornerstones of the organization were to devote time to Christian prayer, and to foster civic responsibility through debate and discussion of political issues in a formal setting. Lectures and other activities were also sponsored by the group to achieve these goals. Meetings were held on a regular basis until late 1838, and the last known membership list of the society dates from 1839, when apparently the organization was dissolved.
From the description of Newark Young Men's Society record book, 1833-1838. (New Jersey Historical Society Library). WorldCat record id: 53400104