Faneuil Hall (Boston, Mass.)

Variant names

Hide Profile

Faneuil Hall Market was opened for the sale of provisions in 1826. The market included the original Faneuil Hall built in 1740-1742, the two adjacent buildings known as Quincy Market, and the surrounding streets. Only vendors who occupied the buildings paid a rental. In 1827, the space under Faneuil Hall was divided into eight stalls. In 1858, the stalls were removed and the market was reopened as the New Faneuil Hall Market. George E. McKay was appointed superintendent in 1877.

From the description of Memorandum of the leases of the stalls and cellars in Faneuil Hall Market, 1877-1919. (Harvard Business School). WorldCat record id: 423751352

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
creatorOf Faneuil Hall (Boston, Mass.). Memorandum of the leases of the stalls and cellars in Faneuil Hall Market, 1877-1919. Harvard Business School, Knowledge and Library Services/Baker Library
referencedIn Joslin, Gilman,. Faneuil Hall, Boston, Mass. [photograph], [ca. 1840]. Massachusetts Historical Society
referencedIn Hovey, Susan A., b. 1868. Hovey papers, 1869-2001 (bulk 1859-1902). Cambridge Historical Commission
referencedIn Brooks, W. G. Copy of an old plan belonging to the city / W.G. Brooks. Boston Public Library, Central Library in Copley Square
referencedIn Boston (Mass.). Superintendent of Markets. Record book, 1916 Jan. 7-1935 Nov. 18. Boston Athenaeum
referencedIn Keystone View Company. Keystone View Company lantern slides, ca. 1892-ca. 1912. College of Charleston, Marlene and Nathan Addlestone Library
referencedIn [Faneuil Hall, Boston, Mass.] [Old Elm, Boston Common, Boston, Mass.] [graphic]. Boston Athenaeum
referencedIn Burlingame, Anson, 1820-1870. Anson Burlingame papers, 1856-1939. Stanford University. Department of Special Collections and University Archives
referencedIn Quincy, John, 1951-. Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market documents, 1958-1977. Boston Athenaeum
referencedIn Boston (Mass.). City Council Joint Committee on the Extension of Faneuil Hall Market. City Council Joint Committee on the Extension of Faneuil Hall Market records, 1823-1828 bulk 1824-1826. City of Boston Archives & Records Management Division
referencedIn Brigham, Peter Bent, 1807-1877. Papers, 1827-1876. Gadsden Public Library
referencedIn Jackson, Joseph. Joseph Jackson lottery tickets, 1767. New-York Historical Society Library
referencedIn Thomas Addis Emmet collection, 1483-1876 (bulk:1700-1800) New York Public Library. Manuscripts and Archives Division
referencedIn Bulfinch, Charles, 1763-1844. Faneuil Hall, Boston [model]. Centre canadien d'architecture, | Canadian Centre for Architecture | CCA
creatorOf Faneuil Hall (Boston, Mass.). Lottery records, 1768. Massachusetts Historical Society
Role Title Holding Repository
Relation Name
associatedWith Boston (Mass.). City Council Joint Committee on the Extension of Faneuil Hall Market. corporateBody
associatedWith Boston (Mass.). Superintendent of Markets. corporateBody
associatedWith Brigham, Peter Bent, 1807-1877. person
associatedWith Brooks, W. G. person
associatedWith Burlingame, Anson, 1820-1870. person
associatedWith Emmet, Thomas Addis person
associatedWith Hovey, Susan A., b. 1868. person
associatedWith Jackson, Joseph. person
associatedWith Joslin, Gilman, person
associatedWith Keystone View Company. corporateBody
associatedWith McKay, George E. 1841- person
Place Name Admin Code Country
Massachusetts--Boston
Massachusetts--Boston
Subject
Commercial leases
Lotteries
Marketing
Markets
Occupation
Function

Corporate Body

Active 1877

Active 1919

Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6sf7f5q

Ark ID: w6sf7f5q

SNAC ID: 38339749