University of Michigan. Extension service

Variant names

Hide Profile

See the history in finding aid for Extension Service (University of Michigan) records.

From the guide to the Extension Service (University of Michigan) publications, 1911-1996, (Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan)

University of Michigan unit established to coordinate loan of library materials to high schools and various local organizations, and to supplement the program of the Extension Service.

From the description of Library Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1916-1980. (University of Michigan). WorldCat record id: 34422697

The University of Michigan Extension Service, established in 1911,was designed to advance culture in the state, assist local communities with technical knowledge, and acquaint faculty with local conditions.

Programs expanded from lectures and short courses to include for credit independent correspondence study and adult education institutes.

A regional office was established in Detroit in 1935, followed by offices in Grand Rapids, Saginaw, Escanaba, Traverse City, Battle Creek, Port Huron, and Dearborn. Courses and programs reflected changing societal needs, ranging from depression era work with the Civilian Conservation Corps, to emergency war training efforts during World War II. Post-war offerings included atomic energy courses, civil defense training, programs in firemanship, as well as courses on gerontology.

Extension activities were significantly reduced in 1981. In 1995, extension activity came under the Academic Outreach office, which focused on distance education and information technology. Academic Outreach was disbanded in 1999 and its programs redistributed across campus.

From the description of Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1911-1999. (University of Michigan). WorldCat record id: 83105928

The University of Michigan Extension Service, established in 1911,was designed to advance culture in the state, assist local communities with technical knowledge, and acquaint faculty with local conditions. Programs expanded from lectures and short courses to include for credit independent correspondence study and adult education institutes.

A regional office was established in Detroit in 1935, followed by offices in Grand Rapids, Saginaw, Escanaba, Traverse City, Battle Creek, Port Huron, and Dearborn. Courses and programs reflected changing societal needs, ranging from depression era work with the Civilian Conservation Corps, to emergency war training efforts during World War II. Post-war offerings included atomic energy courses, civil defense training, programs in firemanship, as well as courses on gerontology.

Extension activities were significantly reduced in 1981. In 1995, extension activity came under the Academic Outreach office, which focused on distance education and information technology. Academic Outreach was disbanded in 1999 and its programs redistributed across campus. Liaison unit concerned with the monitoring of new construction projects and the expansion and renovation of existing buildings at the University of Michigan.

From the description of Extension Service (University of Michigan) publications, 1911-1996. (University of Michigan). WorldCat record id: 269610601

The Extension Division of the University of Michigan was formally organized by the Board of Regents in 1911. The major purposes of the Extension Division were to serve the general cause of education and advancement of culture in the state, to provide local communities with the technical and experimental knowledge of the university faculty, and to acquaint members of the various faculties with local conditions throughout the state. The bylaws of the Extension Division also stated that only those areas of university activity which have their roots in campus programs may be carried throughout the state.

The first responsibility of the Extension Division was the management of the Educational Lecture Bureau. President H. B. Hutchins named William D. Henderson of the Physics Department as part-time director of this program. With the support of President Hutchins and the Board of Regents, the scope of the Extension Division's operations grew from the administration of lectures, to a small number of credit classes which began in Detroit in 1913, and then to a program that served nearly a dozen Michigan communities with lectures and credit courses by the mid-twenties.

In the period between 1935 and 1950 the Extension Service experienced tremendous growth. Enrollment increased from 3,500 to 21,000. The main reason for this increase was the opening of six regional offices throughout the state. The first of the offices was established in Detroit in 1935 at the university's Horace H. Rackham Educational Memorial Building. Later offices were set up in Grand Rapids, Flint, Saginaw, Ann Arbor, and Escanaba. The development of regional area offices made it possible to present and develop long-range programs in various fields.

In the post World War II era the Extension Service actively developed new programs and regional offices. Some of these programs flourished, e.g. music, art, gerontology, real estate, and firemanship training; others, the Worker's Educational Program for example, were abandoned. The credit courses offered through the Extension Service gradually became more oriented towards the graduate student. By 1980, nearly 95% of the credit courses offered through the Extension Service were for graduate credit.

The Extension Service was reduced by 90% in 1981. The report of the budget review subcommittee investigating the Extension Service unanimously recommended that the University of Michigan Extension Service should be discontinued as an administrative unit. This included the transfer of all off-campus instruction activities to the appropriate academic unit and the discontinuance or transfer of all credit-free activities.

The Extension Service has had five directors. The first, William D. Henderson, served as part-time director from 1912 to 1919. In 1919 he was appointed director and held that position until his retirement in 1937. Henderson was succeeded by Charles A. Fisher. Fisher had been the assistant director under Henderson and was the director of the Extension Service from 1937 until his death in 1948. Everett J. Soop became director in 1948 and served until his retirement in 1970. Alfred Storey, who had been assistant director, succeeded Soop. He retired from this position in 1989. Glenda Radine, director of the Department of Conferences and Institutes, was appointed as interim director. She served in this capacity until the Extension Service was reconfigured in 1995 and its activities incorporated into the Academic Outreach unit. Academic Outreach, created to manage non-traditional instruction programs and distance education, was dissolved in 1999.

The Firemanship Training Program

The Firemanship Training Program grew out of the Michigan Fire College that was begun in 1928 to train fire personnel in techniques of fire fighting. The Fire College found a permanent home at the University of Michigan in 1941. The following year, the Department of Extension Services in conjunction with the School of Education set up classes to train fire department instructors. Chief Wallace Gannon of the Muskegon Fire Department came to the school in 1942 to be the instructor for the year. He returned in 1946 and was full-time instructor until 1953. In 1943, the program was expanded to include off-campus courses in fire fighting techniques. The programs became very popular and from 1946 to 1960 over 15,000 fire fighters participated in these programs.

With demand rising for these programs, it was soon apparent that a permanent facility was needed where residential training could take place. A new facility was proposed in 1955 and the Civil Defense and Disaster Training Center was completed in 1959. Francis Hartman, who had been involved with the program from the beginning, became the first director of the new center and program. He was succeeded by Arthur Appel who retired in 1978, and was succeeded by Robert Schultz, former assistant director, in 1978.

The first residential fire school at the new facility was held August 17-28, 1959. This new building provided for even further expansion of the program. The courses offered were expanded to include three residential schools in fire training-- basic, intermediary, advanced--, a longer 240-hour academy, and numerous yearly conferences in the areas of arson control, fire chief training, industrial fire control, fire instruction, state property fire control, and civil defense training.

The 90% reduction in Extension Services in 1981 had its effect on the Firemanship Training Program. Money was no longer available to support the program as before and offerings and enrollments were declining. In 1991, the program was transferred to the Housing Division, Department of Conferences and Seminars. The last residential fire school was held in July 1992. The department continued to offer the various conferences and seminars until 1994 when they canceled all offerings except for a conference on fire control. The Civil Defense and Disaster Center is currently used by the Ann Arbor Fire Department as a substation.

Academic Outreach

In 1995, the Extension Service, as an independently functioning University department, was abolished and its services incorporated into Academic Outreach. This office was created to coordinate the University's increasingly varied efforts to extend its educational mission of teaching, research, and service beyond the University's residential campus. One of its major responsibilities is to find constructive ways to expand the University's learning environment through technology. The University of Michigan Virtual Campus and the Michigan Virtual Auto College are examples of several resultant programs. Academic Outreach was disbanded in 1999. Several of the unit's responsibilities were transferred to the Media Union as well as to other units on campus. (See University Record, February 22, 1999 "Media Union to Provide Learning Technology Support" for information on the dissolution of Academic Outreach.)

From the guide to the Extension Service (University of Michigan), records, 1911-1999, (Bentley Historical Library University of Michigan)

At the request of William Warner Bishop the Regents authorized the establishment of the Library Extension Service (LES) in June 1916. The unit's purpose was to coordinate loans of university library material to high schools and other local organizations within the state. In addition to simply loaning material, LES gradually expanded the scope of its operation to include a variety of highly specialized services. Packets of selected items on special subjects, frequently related to high school debate topics, were prepared and distributed. Other specialized materials included plays and children's books, the children's project being funded for many years by the Children's Fund of Michigan. The unit also sponsored workshops and travelling exhibits.

Library Extension Service established a number of branch libraries throughout the state, usually connected with another university outreach program. In particular branch libraries were established to supplement the program of the Extension Service. Increasingly, the primary responsibility of LES was to make available material for the Extension Service's courses. Specialized materials such as plays and children's books were excluded from the LES holdings in the early 1970s.

From the guide to the Library Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1916-1980, (Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan)

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
referencedIn WUOM (Radio station : Ann Arbor, Mich.). WUOM records, 1914-1982. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Provost and Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs (University of Michigan) central files, 1947-2010 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn Provost and Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs (University of Michigan). Staff Files, 1947--[ongoing] Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn Workers Education Service (University of Michigan). Workers Education Service (University of Michigan) records, 1944-1950. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Follo, Charles (Charles L.), 1905-1979. Charles L. Follo papers, 1961-1970. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
creatorOf Extension Service (University of Michigan) publications, 1911-1996 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
creatorOf University of Michigan. Library Extension Service. Library Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1916-1980. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Church, Michael P. (Michael Paul), 1907-. Papers, 1949-1981. Clarke Historical Library
referencedIn University of Michigan. Provost and Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs. Provost and Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs (University of Michigan) records, 1947-[ongoing]. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn University of Michigan. Vice-President for Academic Affairs. Vice-President for Academic Affairs (University of Michigan) records, 1947-[ongoing]. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Richard D. T. Hollister Papers, 1887-1960 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn Library Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1916-1980 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn University of Michigan. Library Extension Service. Library Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1916-1980. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
creatorOf Library Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1916-1980 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn Church, Michael P. (Michael Paul), 1907-. Michael P. Church papers, 1933-1975. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Hollister, Richard Dennis Teall, b. 1878. Richard D.T. Hollister papers, 1846-1960. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Michael P. Church papers, 1933-1975 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn WCBN (Radio station : Ann Arbor, Mich.). University of Michigan assorted publications, circa 1920s-2006 ( bulk 1970s-1990s) University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
creatorOf University of Michigan. Extension Service. Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1911-1999. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn University of Michigan. Audio-Visual Education Center. Audio-Visual Education Center (University of Michigan) report, 1948. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
creatorOf University of Michigan. Extension Service. Extension Service (University of Michigan) publications, 1911-1996. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Provost and Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs (University of Michigan) Supplemental Files, 1953-[ongoing] Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn University of Michigan assorted publications, ca. 1920-2010, 1970s-1990s Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
creatorOf Extension Service (University of Michigan), records, 1911-1999 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
referencedIn WUOM records, 1914-1982, 1940s-1960s Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
creatorOf University of Michigan. Extension Service. Extension Service (University of Michigan) records, 1911-1994. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Workers Education Service (University of Michigan). Workers Education Service (University of Michigan) records, 1944-1949. University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library
referencedIn Glueck, Sheldon, 1896-1990. Papers, 1916-1972 Harvard Law School Library Langdell Hall Cambridge, MA 02138
referencedIn Charles L. Follo papers, 1961-1970 Bentley Historica Library University of Michigan
Role Title Holding Repository
Relation Name
associatedWith Children's Fund of Michigan. corporateBody
associatedWith Church, Michael P. (Michael Paul), 1907- person
associatedWith Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.) corporateBody
associatedWith Fisher, Charles Asbury, 1885-1948. person
associatedWith Follo, Charles (Charles L.), 1905-1979. person
associatedWith Follo, Charles L. person
associatedWith Follo, Charles L., 1905- person
associatedWith Glueck, Sheldon, 1896- person
associatedWith Henderson, William D., b. 1866. person
associatedWith Hollister, Richard Dennis Teall, b. 1878. person
associatedWith Horace H. Rackham Educational Memorial (Detroit, Mich.) corporateBody
associatedWith Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies. corporateBody
associatedWith Maddy, Joseph E. (Joseph Edgar), 1891-1966 person
associatedWith Michigan High School Forensic Association. corporateBody
associatedWith Soop, Everett J., 1901- person
associatedWith Storey, Alfred W. person
associatedWith Storey, Alfred W. person
associatedWith University of Michigan corporateBody
associatedWith University of Michigan. Audio-Visual Education Center. corporateBody
associatedWith University of Michigan. Audio-Visual Education Center. corporateBody
associatedWith University of Michigan. Extension Service. corporateBody
associatedWith University of Michigan. Library. corporateBody
associatedWith University of Michigan. Provost and Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs. corporateBody
associatedWith University of Michigan. Provost and Executive Vice-President for Academic Affairs. corporateBody
associatedWith University of Michigan. Vice-President for Academic Affairs. corporateBody
associatedWith Workers Education Service (University of Michigan) corporateBody
associatedWith Workers Education Service (University of Michigan) corporateBody
associatedWith WUOM (Radio station : Ann Arbor, Mich.) corporateBody
Place Name Admin Code Country
Michigan
Michigan
Michigan
Subject
Education
Adult education--Michigan
Upper Peninsula (Mich.)
Aging--Study and teaching
Education--Michigan
Fire prevention--Study and teaching
World War, 1939-1945--Education and the war
Geriatrics--Michigan--Study and teaching
Civil defense--Michigan
University extension--Michigan
Civil defense
Children
Classrooms--Michigan--Ann Arbor
Exhibitions
Adult education
University extension
Libraries
Broadcasting--Michigan
Geriatrics--Study and teaching
Books
Libraries--Michigan--Ann Arbor
Occupation
Activity

Corporate Body

Active 1911

Active 1999

Americans

English

Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6zp85h7

Ark ID: w6zp85h7

SNAC ID: 29180574