University of Minnesota. Dept. of Physics.

Hide Profile

The department of physics began at the University of Minnesota in 1889 when Frederick S. Jones was hired as professor of physics. In 1902, the first physical laboratory, now Jones Hall, was completed. The current physics laboratory building was built in 1928 and renamed the Tate Laboratory of Physics in 1963. In 1956, the department of physics in the College of Science, Literature and the Arts was raised to the status of a school and transferred to the Institute of Technology. In 1963, the department of astronomy was combined with the School of Physics to become the School of Physics and Astronomy.

Over the years, the department, and its faculty, has been instrumental in the development of nuclear and cosmic-ray physics. On February 29, 1940, Professor A.O.C. Nier, by means of a mass spectrometer, isolated U-235; Professor J. Williams, as Atomic Energy Commissioner, assisted in the development of the national atomic energy program; and professors Phyllis St. Cyr Freier, Edward Ney and C. Jake Waddington discovered the first evidence of heavy ions in cosmic rays. The School of Physics and Astronomy is currently home to the William I. Fine Theoretical Physics Institute (FTPI), a major international center for research in theoretical physics.

From the guide to the Department of Physics papers, 1886-1972, (University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc])

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
referencedIn Henry A. Erikson papers, 1896-1951 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
referencedIn Norman Baker student papers, [ca. 1952-1959] Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
referencedIn Edward L. Hill papers, 1928-l973 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
referencedIn Edward Purdy Ney Papers, 1941-1996 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
referencedIn Department of Chemistry papers, 1880-1980 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
referencedIn Frank Oppenheimer papers, 1946-1950, 1958-1959 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
referencedIn Aneesur Rahman papers, 1970s-1980s University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
referencedIn Erikson, Henry A. (Henry Anton), b. 1869. History of Department of Physics, University of Minnesota / [Henry A. Erikson]. University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
referencedIn Joseph Valasek papers, circa 1917-1965 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
referencedIn Anthony Zeleny papers, 1902-1939 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
creatorOf Department of Physics papers, 1886-1972 University of Minnesota Libraries. University Archives [uarc]
Role Title Holding Repository
Relation Name
associatedWith Erikson, Henry A. (Henry Anton), b. 1869. person
associatedWith Frier, Phyllis St. Cyr person
associatedWith Hill, Edward Lee, 1904-1974 person
associatedWith Ney, Edward Purdy, 1920- person
associatedWith Nier, Alfred O. (Alfred Otto), 1911- person
associatedWith Norman Hodgson Baker 1931- person
associatedWith Oppenheimer, Frank person
associatedWith Rahman, Aneesur person
associatedWith Tate, John T. (John Torrence), 1889-1950 person
associatedWith University of Minnesota. Dept. of Chemistry corporateBody
associatedWith University of Minnesota. School of Physics corporateBody
associatedWith University of Minnesota. School of Physics and Astronomy corporateBody
associatedWith Valasek, Joseph, 1897-1993 person
associatedWith Williams, John H. (John Harry), 1908- person
associatedWith Zeleny, Anthony, 1870-1947 person
Place Name Admin Code Country
Subject
Physics--Study and teaching (Higher)
Occupation
Activity

Corporate Body

Related Descriptions
Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6r56rjx

Ark ID: w6r56rjx

SNAC ID: 28889844