Whitney Studio Club
Art club and gallery; New York, N.Y., founded by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, 1918.
In 1918, Whitney opened the Whitney Studio Club, which served as pioneering organization for American art, putting on exhibition programs and offering social space and recreational amenities to its members (one point numbering over four hundred artists living in New York). In 1928, the Whitney Studio Club was transformed into an art gallery, known as the Whitney Studio Galleries and directed by Juliana Force, which eventually became the Whitney Museum of American Art in 1931.
From the description of Whitney Studio Club exhibition catalogs and announcements, [undated] and 1916-1930. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 122333569
Founded in 1918 by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney as a center for exhibiting art of contemporary American artists.
Traveling exhibitions were organized and sketching classes were held. A predecessor of the Whitney Museum of American Art, it functioned until 1930.
From the description of Whitney Studio Club and Whitney Studio Galleries administrative records, 1916-1983, 1916-1930 (bulk). (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 155490944
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|
|New York (State)--New York|
|Art--Study and teaching|
|Art museum directors|
|Art museums--Educational aspects|