George Washington University. Lisner AuditoriumVariant names
The George Washington University's Lisner Auditorium was named for Abram Lisner, University Trustee (1909-17, 1919-38), who bequeathed money in his will for its construction. Abram Lisner was a merchant, philanthropist, and University Trustee. The cornerstone was laid in 1941 and construction completed in 1943. Lisner Auditorium was opened (for commercial use) in the fall of 1946 and for many years was the only sizeable facility of its kind in Washington. Lisner Auditorium is an important cultural resource for the city of Washington and offers a skillfully executed architectural achievement for the University campus. For many years it hosted GW's commencement exercises, and in the days before the Kennedy Center, it was the major focus of Washington, D.C. theater life. The Director of Lisner reports to the Vice President for Information and Administration Services. N.B. This history note was written in 2005.
From the description of Lisner Auditorium records 1946-2005 (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 694361399
Links to collections
Related names in SNAC
This is only a preview comparison of Constellations. It will only exist until this window is closed.
- Added or updated
- Deleted or outdated
- Washington (D.C.) (as recorded)