Papers, 1920-1948.

ArchivalResource

Scott, Ann Norvell Otey, 1872-1948. Papers, 1920-1948.

Papers, 1920-1948.

Principally correspondence with Washington and Lee University and United Daughters of the Confederacy officials; resolutions and reports relating to her participation in the controversy over W & L President Henry Louis Smith's proposed renovation and expansion of the Lee Chapel. Also includes correspondence and clippings relating to fund-raising for the Stratford Hall restoration. Correspondents include members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Washington and Lee officials, and Lee family members.

.5 ft. (1 1/2 boxes)

Related Entities

There are 9 Entities related to this resource.

Washington and Lee University. Lee Chapel.

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6vz16tv (corporateBody)

Stratford Hall (Westmoreland County, Va.)

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w63880qz (corporateBody)

Stratford Hall was the home of four generations of the Lee family, which included two signers of the Declaration of Independence, and was the birthplace of General Robert E. Lee. The plantation currently encompasses nearly 2,000 acres and borders two miles of Potomac River shoreline. Thomas Lee built the historic Great House circa 1738 and began to build a family empire based on the export of tobacco, the production of which required a large labor force. ...

Lee, Robert Edward, 1807-1870

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6sk28nd (person)

Robert Edward Lee (1807-1870) served as General of the Confederate Army in the U.S. Civil War and was president of Washington College in Lexington, Virginia from 1865 to 1870. Lee spent the first twenty-three years of his military career in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. From 1837 to 1841 he was superintending engineer for the harbor of St. Louis and the upper Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Robert E. Lee was a United States Army officer, 1829-1861; commander of Virginia forces in the ...

Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6798cpn (corporateBody)

The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) was founded in 1889 in Williamsburg, Virginia, to preserve and restore deteriorating historical sites in Virginia. The APVA bought the site where Jamestown is located. Over the years the organization (recently renamed Preservation Virginia) has worked with public and private groups to restore sites. The group owns several sites in the state that are open to the public, including Bacon's Castle and the Cape Henry Lighthouse. ...

Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1843-1914

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6ks70z7 (person)

Robert Edward Lee was the youngest of the three sons of Gen. Robert E. Lee (1807-1870). After attending the University of Virginia, 1860-62, Lee enlisted in the Rockbridge Artillery of the Confederate Army where he served as a lieutenant under his brother Rooney Lee. He later served under his cousin Gen. Fitz Lee and was promoted to Captain. For more biographical information on the Lee brothers. See John W. Wayland, ROBERT E. LEE AND HIS FAMILY. Staunton, Va: McClure Printing Co., 1951. ...

Scott, Ann Norvell Otey, 1872-1948.

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6133j6m (person)

Chairman, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Virginia Division; resident of Lynchburg, Virginia. From the description of Papers, 1920-1948. (Washington & Lee University). WorldCat record id: 11730269 ...

Smith, Henry Louis, 1859-1951

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6tt5bxp (person)

Henry Louis Smith, 1859-1951, was born in Greensboro, N.C. He graduated from Davidson College in 1881. He accepted a position of the faculty of Davidson College in 1886 and began graduate work at the University of Virginia. Smith taught physics and astronomy and was superintendent of grounds and buildings. While a professor, Smith performed the first X-ray experiment in the U.S. in 1896. Smith was president of Davidson College from 1901 to 1912 and president of Washington and Lee Un...

United daughters of the Confederacy

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6p59vh7 (corporateBody)

The Southern Cross of Honor award, which later became the Cross of Military Service, originated on Oct. 13, 1862 as an act of the Confederate Congress to recognize the courage and good conduct of officers, non-commissioned officers and privates of the Confederate army. However, due to wartime shortages, the medals were not made, but the recipients' names were recorded in an Honor Roll for future reference. The cross's design was created by Mrs. Alexander S. Erwin in July 1898. It featured a cros...

Lee, George Bolling, 1872-1948.

http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w64m9dz6 (person)