Chicago School of Civics and Philanthropy. Records 1903-1922
There are 2 Entities related to this resource.
The Work Incentive Program (WIN) was established by the U.S. Department of Labor in 1967-1968. WIN was designed to increase employability and employment among those receiving welfare under Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC). It required states to offer job training and job-seeking assistance. A voluntary program until 1971, incentives for participation ranged from exemptions in calculating AFDC need to actual incentive payments. WIN programs were federally funded and loc...
In 1903 courses in social welfare were offered within the Extension Division of the University of Chicago. This program expanded in 1904 into the Institute of Social Science and Arts: Training for Philanthropic and Social Work under the direction of Graham Taylor. The Institute lost the support of the University and in 1906 become an independent organization known as the Chicago Institute of Social Science. In 1908 the Institute was incorporated as the Chicago School of Civics and Philanthropy u...