The North East Neighborhood House is the successor to Immanuel Sunday School Mission, an organization established by the Reverend Rueben A. Torrey, pastor of the Open Door Congregational Church, during the 1880s. Between 1900 and 1914, the mission, renamed Drummond Hall, was supported by the Plymouth Congregational Church and the Trinity Baptist Church. As a result of the influx of immigrants from the Slavic countries, the Protestant mission found it difficult to attract members, and the mission closed in 1914. In June 1913 the board of directors of the Drummond Union Mission authorized a survey of northeast Minneapolis to be conducted by the Associated Charities of Minneapolis. The results of the survey, presented to the board in October 1913, recommended that a nonsectarian and nonpartisan neighborhood house be erected in the district. A group of influential people took up this recommendation. The building housing Drummond Hall was remodeled; a head worker, Robbins Gilman, was hired; and on January 20, 1915 the North East Neighborhood House was formally opened at 1429 Second Street N.E. In a few years the activities of the settlement had outgrown its temporary building, and in 1919 the North East Neighborhood House was permanently located at 1929 Second Street N.E.
In 1963 the North East Neighborhood House merged with the Margaret Barry House, a settlement in northeast Minneapolis founded in 1912 by the Minneapolis Legaue of Catholic Women. This new organization, known as East Side Neighborhood Service, reflected the organization's broadened mission of providing services to the entire East Minneapolis community. By 2003, the agency was known as East Side Neighborhood Services, Inc.
Historical information was taken from: Catheryne Cooke Gilman, Neighbors United Through Social Settlement Services at the North East Neighborhood House, Minneapolis ; Alice O'Brien Lahiff, Young at Sixty-five: A Chronicle of sixty-five years in the life of the Minneapolis League of Catholic Women ; and other sources.
From the guide to the North East Neighborhood House records., 1889-1961, 2002-2003., (Minnesota Historical Society)