The Los Angeles Railway Corporation (LARy) was the product of mergers and consolidations of numerous local and interurban railways in Los Angeles and adjacent communities. In 1910, Henry E. Huntington yielded his interests in the Pacific Electric Company to the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, which subsequently controlled the interurban lines, and he incorporated the Los Angeles Railway Company and other railway interests to form the Los Angeles Railway Corporation, which operated the Los Angeles city lines.
This collection was compiled by Edwin L. Lewis, who began working for the Los Angeles Cable Railway Company in 1888. Lewis became vice-president and manager of the Los Angeles Land Company and manager of the Los Angeles Railway Building in 1921. He retired in 1939. Lewis collected the material as background information for his proposed book on the railway systems of Los Angeles. The two volume history was never published, but exists in manuscript form and is housed in the Huntington's Manuscript Department.
From the guide to the Los Angeles Railway Corporation Collection of Photographs, 1851-1939, (The Huntington Library)