University of Maryland Libraries are a system of eight libraries supporting the University of Maryland, College Park. There are six libraries on the UMCP campus: McKeldin Library, the main branch; Hornbake Library, home of the special collections and university archives (as well as the UMD iSchool, HCIL, and MITH); the Architecture Library; the Michelle Smith Performing Arts Library, home of special collections in performing arts and International Piano Archives at Maryland (IPAM) as well as general collections; the Art Library; and the STEM Library. The Priddy Library is located at the Universities of Shady Grove campus in Rockville, Md., while the Severn Library is an offsite storage facility in Severn, Md.
The Libraries support the research, learning, and teaching activities of the University of Maryland community. A library building was first constructed on campus in 1893, which was used until a replacement (Shoemaker Library, now Shoemaker Hall) was constructed in 1931. The current main branch, McKeldin Library, was built in 1958. The Libraries have been part of the Federal Depository Library system since 1925.
Today, as the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore area, the University of Maryland (UMD) Libraries serve more than 41,000 students and 14,000 faculty and staff at the flagship College Park campus.