St. Mary of the Lake Roman Catholic Church of Watkins Glen (Watkins Glen, N.Y.)

Hide Profile

There is no record of early Catholic missionaries to Watkins Glen. From 1850 to 1854 Reverend James Cunningham of Elmira visited regularly. In approximately 1846 or 1847 the Catholics bought a church, constructed in 1833, from the Presbyterians. In 1865 a new church, seating four hundred and costing $21,000, was built under the direction of Father Dennis English of Penn Yan. The first resident pastor, Father James C. McManus, arrived in February 1869 and remained for three years.

From the description of St. Mary of the Lake Roman Catholic Church of Watkins Glen records, 1848-1868. (Cornell University Library). WorldCat record id: 63938490

There is no record of early Catholic missionaries to Watkins. From 1850 to 1854 Rev. James Cunningham of Elmira visited regularly. In approximately 1846 or 1847 the Catholics bought a church, constructed in 1833, from the Presbyterians. In 1865 a new church, seating four hundred and costing twenty-two thousand dollars, was built under the direction of Father Dennis English of Penn Yan. The first resident pastor, Father James C. McManus, arrived in February 1869 and remained for three years. The church was in the Buffalo Diocese as of 1876.

From the guide to the St. Mary of the Lake Roman Catholic Church of Watkins Glen records, 1848-1868., (Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library)

Archival Resources

Corporate Body

Active 1848

Active 1868

Related Descriptions
Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6zt052r

Ark ID: w6zt052r

SNAC ID: 75811063