Gramercy Park is a neighborhood on the East Side of Manhattan. Originally called Krom Moerasje (little crooked swamp) by Dutch settlers, it was renamed Gramercy by the English. In the early 19th century, the swamp was drained and streets were laid out in an English style around a private park, leading to the present-day name of the neighborhood.
From the guide to the Mary L.D. Ferris papers on the history of Gramercy Park, circa 1898 to 1921, (Brooklyn Historical Society)
Old Fort Johnson, a National Historic Landmark located in Montgomery County, N.Y., was the 18th-century home of Sir William Johnson, an official of the British Empire. It was later owned by wealthy philanthropist John de Watts Peyster, who presented it to the Montgomery County Historical Society in the early 20th century. As of 2011, the Montgomery County Historical Society continues to own and operate Old Fort Johnson as a historic site and museum.
From the guide to the Old Fort Johnson correspondence, 1905-1907, (Brooklyn Historical Society)