The Pennsylvania Child Labor Association was the outgrowth of a committee appointed by the State Federation of Women's Clubs in 1903. From its inception until 1908, the organization was known as the Pennsylvania Child Labor Committee. It became the Pennsylvania Child Labor Association in 1908 with local chapters established throughouth the state. In 1912, the Association reorganized with two branches: the Eastern Branch situated in Philadelphia and the Western Branch situated in Pittsburgh. The state-wide office remained in Philadelphia.
The Association's objectives included investigating and reporting the condition of child employment in gainful occupations throughout the state; promoting legislation to protect children from dangerous occupations; creating opportunities for education; enforcing the laws relating to child labor and compulsory education; and bringing educational and industrial opportunities closer in line.
Some of the Association's accomplishments include the removal of Chief Labor Inspector Delaney in 1908; strengthen the existing, although inadequate, child labor laws, which it successfully did with a new child labor law act in 1915. The new act called for a nine hour day; a fifty-two hour week; and that children attend an approved vocational school for not less than one half day per work week.
Seeing an overlap in the area of work and education, the Pennsylvania Child Labor Association merged with the Public Education Association of Philadelphia (founded in 1880) to form the Public Education and Child Labor Association of Pennsylvania in 1915.
From the description of Records, 1905-1915. (Temple University Libraries). WorldCat record id: 122525933