The first issue of the JEWISH CHRONICLE newspaper appeared in October 1841, a month after another journal, the VOICE OF JACOB, produced by Jacob Abraham Franklin. The two publications had different standpoints, but it was clear by the mid-1840s that there was insufficient market in Anglo-Jewry to support two newspapers and the publications subsequently merged. The history of the JEWISH CHRONICLE has attracted considerable attention, although for much of the period before World War II, this has to be written from the text of the newspaper itself: most of the JEWISH CHRONICLE archive failed to survive an air raid on 29 December 1940, which destroyed the offices of the newspaper in Moor Lane, London. ([C.Roth] THE JEWISH CHRONICLE 1841-1941: A CENTURY OF NEWSPAPER HISTORY (London, 1949); D.Cesarani THE JEWISH CHRONICLE AND ANGLO-JEWRY, 1841-1991 (Cambridge, 1994); D.Cesarani REPORTING ANTI SEMITISM: THE JEWISH CHRONICLE 1879-1979 (Southampton, 1994); D.Cesarani, `The importance of being editor: the JEWISH CHRONICLE, 1841-1991', JEWISH HISTORICAL STUDIES 32 (1993) pp. 259 78.)
The main archive of the newspaper is supplemented by further groups of correspondence with J.A.Franklin and later editors, which have survived independently.
From the guide to the Archives of the JEWISH CHRONICLE newspaper, 1841-1989, (University of Southampton Libraries Special Collections)