In 1966 the Graduate Department of Library and Information Sciences was unveiled giving Brigham Young students the opportunity to receive a Masters degree in library science. The program was started in response to the LDS church's difficulty in finding qualified, LDS librarians to staff their libraries. The first Master of Library and Information Sciences degrees were awarded in 1967. The program was accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) in 1970. In 1975 the program was upgraded to to status of a professional school with the creation of the School of Library and Information Sciences. At its peak, the program had extension programs at the Salt Lake Center and at Rick's College in Rexburg, ID. The school was noted for its participation in national committees and organizations, and for its part in the advancing of library education at all levels of schooling. In 1991, Brigham Young University announced the closing of the school citing lack of funds and the refocusing on undergraduate education at the university. The school closed its doors in 1993 when the last Master of Library and Information Sciences degrees were given to BYU students.
From the description of Faculty personnel records, 1955-1991. (Brigham Young University). WorldCat record id: 60658047