The Detroit Shell Company manufactured 155 mm. high explosive artillery shell casings. The company was likely organized in the spring of 1917, and ceased production in 1919 following the Armistice; it appears in the 1918 and 1919 editions of the Detroit, Michigan City Directory. The factory was located on Carlton Avenue, two blocks south of Michigan Avenue, on Detroit's far west side. Edsel Ford served as treasurer of the company, and this album was presented to him and is inscribed with his name on the front.
From the description of Detroit Shell Company photograph album, 1918. (The Henry Ford). WorldCat record id: 69661794