Colliver, George.

Hide Profile

The Chinese Christian Center began as the Chinese Methodist Episcopal Mission which was established as a Methodist Home Mission Project on Hunter Street in Stockton, California in 1905. In 1925 the Mission moved to Lafayette Street and was renamed the Chinese Christian Center in 1941. From 1930-1934 Lim P. Lee was the student pastor of the Mission and was responsible for starting the Boy Scout troop which led to the eventual formation of a boys' club at the local YMCA. Lee was a former student of Rev. Dr. George H. Colliver, who was a professor at the College of the Pacific. In 1936 Dr. Colliver took leadership of the Mission when he was appointed pastor from 1936-1949. Bishop Wilbur Wong Yan Choy was the Associate Pastor of the Center from 1943-1949 and pastor from 1954-1959. In 1955 the Center moved to South San Joaquin Street.

From the description of Stockton Chinese Christian Center Collection, 1935-1954. (University of the Pacific). WorldCat record id: 238788743

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
creatorOf Colliver, George. Stockton Chinese Christian Center Collection, 1935-1954. University of the Pacific, William Knox Holt Memorial Library
Role Title Holding Repository
Relation Name
associatedWith Methodist Episcopal Church. corporateBody
Place Name Admin Code Country
California--Stockton
Subject
Chinese Americans
Chinese Americans
Occupation
Activity

Person

Active 1935

Active 1954

Related Descriptions
Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w65b4nnq

Ark ID: w65b4nnq

SNAC ID: 65894287