Organized Methodist worship in Leicester, Mass., began in October, 1842, when meetings began to be held in the town hall. This activity led to the founding of a Methodist Episcopal church in October, 1844, with the Rev. William C. Clark ( - ) as minister. On March 1, 1845, disagreements about temperance and slavery led Wesleyan and Methodist Episcopal factions to divide into two churches. Clark remained as minister of the Wesleyan church in Leicester, and a Methodist Episcopal church was founded nearby in Cherry Valley. The Wesleyan meeting house was built in 1846, and services were held there until 1861, when the Wesleyan church was disbanded. The Wesleyan meeting house was used again for a few years beginning in 1867 when a new Methodist Episcopal church was formed in Leicester Center; this eventually merged with the Cherry Valley church.
From the description of Records, 1844-1859. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 191259844